Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so some fool at a stop light today decided to burn out in front of me, i am pretty sure that he didn't have enough power to stay still on just tire spin alone but my friend pointed out that he was probably stepping on his break to keep the car in one place...

wouldn't this absolutely freakin destroy your brakes? i mean, there was smoke everywhere and as i drove through it it smelt like either brake or clutch, maybe both

its probably a retarded question to some of you car gurus, but i was just curious, why would you do that to your brakes???

·
I R TEH TOOL FAN
1,202 Posts
your breaks last a long time as it is. but it probably does wear down your breaks and get them hot as fuck.. but as the breaks get hotter they loose friction and use less force and wear less. but also under breaking the front use alot more force then the rear. i want to say its 80%-20%. but in a rear wheel drive its alittle different the rear is alittle stronger probably like around 70-30 to help as more of an engine break. so the rear breaks use considerably less force so it doesnt wear them as quick as you might think. i would imagin too that doing a burn out like that doesnt help the longevity of your disks/drums. they probably warp alot quicker too.

but to answer your question as to why would people do that to their breaks. probably because they just dont care or they just dont know.

·
Registered
927 Posts
becuase burnouts like that are the shizznit

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Front wheel drive or real wheel? If it was a FWD then it was the parking brake and that doesnt mess up the brakes much at all because it only holds rear brakes, which aren't turning at all so it just keeps you in place.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
so how dem mustang dudes always do those standing burn outs? Thats called power braking right? do theyhave there brakes biased or something? I know it sounds dumb but heh I never understood the process.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
you only press on the brakes just enuff to honld the front wheels then you give it gas and youll feel the car lift up a little and then give it mroe gas and the rear wheels start spinning or on a mustang A rear WHEEL ;)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
they dont understand them

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
fastkill said:
so how dem mustang dudes always do those standing burn outs? Thats called power braking right? do theyhave there brakes biased or something? I know it sounds dumb but heh I never understood the process.
that's pretty much called torque.

:lol:

·
I R TEH TOOL FAN
1,202 Posts
Nola BB6 said:
which is what Honda's are famous for :wink3:
i think the word you are searching for is INfamous

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
2qu1k4u said: