Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put oil in about a week or so ago and it was at the top dot on my oil stick. I checked my oil today and its pretty close to the bottom dot already. Its been doing this for some time now. Im not sure how many quarts or whatever im losing but this doesnt seem normal. I havent read anything like this on any of the forums.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I should mention im not in vtec that much and i usually shift around 3-35k. But when im in vtec for a decent bit of time oil goes pretty damn quick.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
The top dot to the bottom dot is about a quart of oil. How many miles did you drive in that time?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I put oil in about a week or so ago and it was at the top dot on my oil stick. I checked my oil today and its pretty close to the bottom dot already. Its been doing this for some time now. Im not sure how many quarts or whatever im losing but this doesnt seem normal. I havent read anything like this on any of the forums.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I should mention im not in vtec that much and i usually shift around 3-35k. But when im in vtec for a decent bit of time oil goes pretty damn quick.

You didn't even try to look. Don't lie.

I burn some oil and leak way less.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Put some cardboard under your car overnight, that will give you an idea of possible oil leak areas.

Start with the easy stuff: PCV, valvecover gasket, cam and crank seals are all within the average DIYer's ability. Do those, see if consumption improves.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put some cardboard under your car overnight, that will give you an idea of possible oil leak areas.

Start with the easy stuff: PCV, valvecover gasket, cam and crank seals are all within the average DIYer's ability. Do those, see if consumption improves.
did the pcv and i will try to do the rest. i park in the same spot and theres is a little drippage on the floor but nothing crazy at all

·
Registered
675 Posts

Ok since you looked you know a .120" over bore and new pistons is what you need if you want a all motor car right? It's common fix for "oil" missing.

So you might get 20k hits searching h22 oil burning or prelude oil burning and you didn't bother looking.

Then you ask a question and give no info. It's like a my car makes a noise what is it??? questions. If you expect to have people take the time to diagnose your problem give details. Are you on 0w20 shit brand oil or are you running 20w60? We have no damn clue! We don't know how many miles on your engine or if swapped with a "low" mile jdm.

See what i'm getting at?

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Ok since you looked you know a .120" over bore and new pistons is what you need if you want a all motor car right? It's common fix for "oil" missing.

So you might get 20k hits searching h22 oil burning or prelude oil burning and you didn't bother looking.

Then you ask a question and give no info. It's like a my car makes a noise what is it??? questions. If you expect to have people take the time to diagnose your problem give details. Are you on 0w20 shit brand oil or are you running 20w60? We have no damn clue! We don't know how many miles on your engine or if swapped with a "low" mile jdm.

See what i'm getting at?
Everything he said.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
Well, you have maybe 3 options:

1. Engine swap to a low mileage JDM engine
2. Pull the engine in the car and get it rebuilt
3. Deal with it. Just know that you need to check the oil regularly. Keep it topped off.

The 3rd option is the cheapest. The H22A4 that came in my Prelude burned oil for a long time. I believe it had around 129K miles on it the day I bought it and it ran healthy up until I swapped it for an H23A at around 192K miles. It burned probably 1 quart every 200 miles so I just kept it topped off.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, you have maybe 3 options:

1. Engine swap to a low mileage JDM engine
2. Pull the engine in the car and get it rebuilt
3. Deal with it. Just know that you need to check the oil regularly. Keep it topped off.

The 3rd option is the cheapest. The H22A4 that came in my Prelude burned oil for a long time. I believe it had around 129K miles on it the day I bought it and it ran healthy up until I swapped it for an H23A at around 192K miles. It burned probably 1 quart every 200 miles so I just kept it topped off.
I like to always do some diagnosis before I assume the oil burning is a problem of the engine being worn. My friend had a '96 Integra, and he burned a quart every tank. I asked to look at it. Well, he had somewhat worn rings, according to dry/wet compression test and the leakdown I did on it, but he also had a stuck open PCV I suspect was the original one. I installed a new one and it cut the oil consumption in half.

And if the OP finds out its head-related such as worn valve seats, if he talks to a machine shop he may be able to get that fixed for a lot less. I had a head rebuilt on another car I owned years ago, and got it done for $500, which, since a rebuilt or reman engine in it would have cost over a grand, I got off lucky.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
I like to always do some diagnosis before I assume the oil burning is a problem of the engine being worn. My friend had a '96 Integra, and he burned a quart every tank. I asked to look at it. Well, he had somewhat worn rings, according to dry/wet compression test and the leakdown I did on it, but he also had a stuck open PCV I suspect was the original one. I installed a new one and it cut the oil consumption in half.

And if the OP finds out its head-related such as worn valve seats, if he talks to a machine shop he may be able to get that fixed for a lot less. I had a head rebuilt on another car I owned years ago, and got it done for $500, which, since a rebuilt or reman engine in it would have cost over a grand, I got off lucky.
I like to diagnosis problems too, but he should have already Googled oil consumption causes. There are probably millions of results.

From my personal experience and from all the threads I've seen on the internet, H22s burn oil, it's just the reality of it. They don't do it because of PCV valves or other minor things. The issue always comes down to the fact that Honda used FRM cylinder walls.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like to diagnosis problems too, but he should have already Googled oil consumption causes. There are probably millions of results.

From my personal experience and from all the threads I've seen on the internet, H22s burn oil, it's just the reality of it. They don't do it because of PCV valves or other minor things. The issue always comes down to the fact that Honda used FRM cylinder walls.
Indeed, but having any other problems with the engine is only going to exacerbate it. My personal view is, as long as the oil consumption is manageable, and managed by the owner, its not a serious problem. But believe it or not, I've seen the PCV system on several Preludes clogged with nothing but shit causing them to stick open and make the problem worse. I'm just telling OP that he should do the small stuff first to ensure that there's not other things going on.

But yeah, FRM sleeves don't help. I helped rebuild a B21A1 ( head work ) and the guy doing the bottom end said he installed cast iron sleeves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts