Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Over the weekend I bought this 1st gen. I rarely see them around, and definitely not in this condition, so I took a leap of faith and bought it for $1000. I talked the guy down from $1500.

It's been resprayed to a more attractive shade of red, and they actually did a fairly thorough job, managing to do the trunk and door jams. They didn't pull the motor to do the bay, but that parts not too noticeable.

The things that either don't work, or need to be fixed:
-One tail light is bugging out, full brightness all the time.
-Bit of a fuel leak at the carb, but I plan to replace it entirely with the 32-36 Weber, so it shouldn't matter.
-Bit of rust around the sunroof, but nothing super serious.
-Badly needs a service, though it starts up and runs with zero fuss, every time.

This is her after pulling up at my place ont he tow truck. Couldn't wait to get her into the driveway to have a good look. I didn't really have the chance to properly go over the car while I was first inspecting it.

Taken just after pulling into the driveway and popping the hood to have a look at the engine. There was a bit of oil on the front of the motor, so I sprayed that down with degreaser and water, and have since found that most of it appears to be coming from the oil filler cap, no obvious leakage from the valve cover gasket, win!

The interior really hasn't been cleaned for YEARS, I'm guessing. So the girlfriend set onto it this afternoon and the difference is incredible. She researching right now online what she can do to clean the carpet and seats. She surprised me with how much she's just jumped into helping with this restoration.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow man that lude is in amazing condition. And for 1k Id be all over that for sure. Grats on the great find! I saw one driving here the other day which surprised the heck out of me. But it deffinately is not the condition of this one wow.

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We got straight into restoration this morning. Amanda has been cleaning the interior and it's coming up mint!

I've started on some of the more technical stuff, by fixing the broken clock. Fortunately, I had a spare from my old parted out 1g. Pretty happy that it still has the button cover!

I'm not sure how rare these are, but I've notice not too many people have the honeycomb grill...

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

We've removed the seats to clean the carpet, as well being able to service the seat rails and the parts that allow it to recline. Some pretty tough stains in here...

This is one such mystery stain on the drivers side.

To remove it, we used a product called Exit. I'm not sure if it's available in the US, but you can find it in the laundry section of most grocery stores.

Then use a wet cloth to scrub, you should see the stain begin to disappear!

Ta da! All clean :)

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, for the most part it'll be totally stock and as original as possible, except where upgrading improves the quality of the vehicle.

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This isn't the best photo of it in the world, but you get the idea. It's a 12.3" diameter Imola 3-spoke mahogany steering wheel from the Volanti D'Epoa Vintage collection by Luisi. It's stamped "Made in Italy 1984" on the back. I bought it off a lady who lives locally, who told me it was on her old Celica many years ago, and she was quite fond of it. Quite a nice old piece I think, that dates to around the right time for the 1st Gen, and should give it a bit of a classic look.

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Today I replaced the wheels with a set of aluminum wheels, 13x6's. The rear tires have a bit of a different profile, so I'll likely change those so things fit a bit better, but otherwise I think they're a huge improvement over the last set of wheels.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
1,697 Posts
Centreline wheels FTW!!!

Looks awesome dude. Can't wait to see this thing in person... and your other 800 ludes.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
lookin good brother. Congrats. :smilejap:

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to where this build will go. Moneys a bit tight right now, so no major stuff for a couple weeks, but after that I'll be free to start getting serious in the engine bay!

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

The old oil cap was leaking like a sieve. In Australia, any leak will prevent it from passing it's Roadworthy inspection. So this was a pretty easy, but important fix. I couldn't believe how much was escaping from that one point. I'd degrease all around, and the next day a fresh patch of oil was leaking down the front.

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a maintenance update, picked up a set of NGK copper sparkplugs, a new air filter, and fuel filter. Small steps at the moment...

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Time for a bit of a total update.
I put in the upper and lower radiator hoses this afternoon, drained the water from the radiator and replaced it with ACTUAL coolant. I can't believe how many people just run water...

Total things done up to this point:
1. Interior Cleaned
2. Fresh wiper blades, front and back.
3. Taillight fixed
4. Clock fixed
5. Centerline wheels
6. Oil cap replaced
7. Radiator hoses and coolant
8. NGK copper spark plugs

·
Registered
2,271 Posts