Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the Honda game, so I need advice. I bought a '93 Prelude *for fuel economy and intentions to one day build it for speed*, H22A1 block *with complete lower end*, and a H23A1 with a H22 V-TEC head. Do not know if the H23 block is drilled, or done properly so imma put the H22 head back onto the H22 block. All for $580 total, car and motors! The H22A1 block has been sitting for a while and a friend suggested to hottank it, which I plan to do. Everything looks pretty good but I want to know what are some good rebuild kits for someone on a BUDGET. I have $1,200 to wisely spend but I wanna keep it cheep. I also want to know what are some good valve springs, retainers, possibly valves, and cam gears. I don't know if I should go stock too keep my cost down or spend a little bit more for aftermarket.. HELP!! Sorry about the huge post and if it is unclear!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought stock H22 cams but I'm wondering if I can run a Ferrea indivudial sport compact 6000 series intake and exhaust valves without hurting anything internal. Also would I have to do anything with the computer or could I just install the valves and go?

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
These is absolutely no reason to buy new springs, retainers or valves with your plans. The stock valve train is extremely well engineered. No reason to buy cam gears either. What you should do is buy some oversized pistons (oem type s) .25 over. Some new ACL bearings, make sure you have a trusted machine shop over bore the cylinders by .25. Get the oem head freshened up with new valve seats, valve seals, and valve guides. Have everything cleaned. New belts, oem pumps, seals, gaskets. It will run you about $1200-1500 but you will have a new OEM motor with no burning oil, that will last a very long time. Add some bolt on's h/i/e down the road, maybe tb/im some sort of management and a tune if you feel like getting a bit more power out of it. Could easily hit 200whp with that setup and it won't give you any shit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, I really apperciate the feed back! I'll look into it. Are their any other options that could be a little more less expensive? Hate to say it, but cut some corners to save a buck? But thank you still!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You could use some bearings like acl or king instead of oem Honda, they don't have the range of choices like stock, but should work for your needs. If you are not going crazy on it, just re-ring it is the pistons and walls are in good shape, as the FRM is a tough material, and can take it well.

Using oem gaskets and seals is important, many aftermarket options just never seal as well, I have tried that route and end up buying Honda to fix it later.

I would second prudz, and say leave the head alone, maybe have it refreshed with the good stock parts, and maybe get some jdm cams if you have usdm cams now, they would just drop in there.

one of the biggest things, do either a manual tensioner from an h23, or a kstuned tensioner. DO NOT use an automatic Honda tensioner, they fail way too often.

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
The only other cheap option is sell what you got, buy a long block swap from hmotorsonline or something like that. But that is $2000ish. There is no cheap way around building a motor, even buying a swap you still should expect to put $500-1000 worth of belts/gaskets/pumps to refresh it.

I bought my new long block/swap when I blew up my motor for $2400 shipped. I put in an extra $1000 worth of OEM parts (belts/gaskets/pumps) just to make sure the motor will last 100-200 thousand k with no chance of any of that stuff failing.

Good luck, I would seriously look into what I said. Take it from the guy who has been working with these cars for 9 years.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
For your budget, you dont have enough moeny to do muich other than hone, re ring and reinstall the heads. The gaskets and the oil pumps and water pump and timgin stuff will eat up the majoprity of your budget. The amchine wrok to get the oversized psitons in will also eat up the majority of your budget.

Best bet is to re ring, and reinstall ehad with new seals and whatnot. Unless you can double yourbudget, then i would say go over sized pistons and machine it all the fit.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
i understand that, but still 1200 doesnt get you very far, considering an oil pump is 200, water pump and timing belts and what not another 200, the seals for mains and whatnot another 100, that leaves very little left for new rings, pistons and the machine work.

machinist charge so much in oilberta as the majority of them are set up for oilfeild stuffs and dont want to change tooling or dies to do other stuff. But machine work still costs money so, to re hone and re ring with new pistons IMO would still be around 500-800.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts