Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted on here in a good while but i've been doing some searching and I haven't been able to find where I can buy rods to build up my B20A5 for my turbo project. I found a Wiesco Piston package here: http://www.importperformanceparts.net/ Which actually sounds really good. But it's pretty pricey and I still would want to get rods as well wouldn't I? I just can't seem to find what brand and where if anyone could help me out. The search tool hasn't helped me yet.

I'm only looking to boost between 6-8psi max. This is going to be my daily driver and I want something that will be reliable so im planning on going with hondata and professional tuning, etc. So I guess my other question is...If I get that Wiesco Package, do I still need rods?

·
iHeart iVTEC
3,933 Posts
search, H23 rods fit our engines, prolly the best/easiest route to go, especially if your only gonna boost 6-8psi

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok, im sorry I forgot about H23 rods. Thank you though.

Well, i've been reading up and it sounds like a lot of people think the stock rods are quite strong and if im only sticking to low boost I shouldnt need new rods. any ideas on that?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, "when it was running"
What happened to it? How long did it run while boosted?
Im moving to Dallas for the Art Institute up there soon and im not gonna have really any money to do much to my car so that's why im trying to get it all done now. So Im hoping to keep my car reliable. If you guys think stock rods will be ok then why the hell spend the money? Especially if I get that Wiesco Package with all the bearings and everything.

·
iHeart iVTEC
3,933 Posts
if i were you i would just upgrade to h23 rods, just for safety, and the pure fact they arent gonna create a hole in your wallet, since they are a stock engine part, im sure someone on the board has some h23 rods lying around, might want to post it up in the wanted section.

im almost positive flylwsi has h23 rods on his 3rd gen, and hes not even boosted, just a mean n/a build, puttin like 180ishwhp

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm, alrighty, so you're saying actual OEM H23 rods. I was thinkin I had to get upgraded ones. Will the H23 rods fit with any piston that would normally fit in my B20 like for example the Wiesco ones im wanting to get?

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Personally, were i going to run low boost (sub 11psi) i wouldn't change anything, the stock b20a5 bits have been proven to be quite safe for 10psi and less, ASSUMING GOOD TUNING.

RRFPR's and S-afc's are NOT good tuning, you take your engines life into your hands with those!

I can't remember any rod related engine deaths that were the result of a turbo setup, the ring lands on the stock pistons crack before the rods go.
The are STRONG rods, maybe not strong enough for a tonybaker type setup, but certainly enough for 6-9psi well tuned.

That said, if you want to go higher, h23 rods have some extra beef to them, and are pretty cheap. Them combined with some Pistons Of Strength, and your good to go.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you've said it pretty well for me guys, thank you.
My only concern is reliabability after putting that much more stress on my engine. it's at about 145k miles and I dont think i should risk it. i'll probably go ahead and get the Wiesco Pistons in that package, but I dunno if i'll worry about any rod changing unless the prices are just too low to not buy H23 rods haha.

now i've just gotta remember to get it honed before my friend and I put it all together.

But yea, im gonna be spending a lot of money on tuning. im not leaving any gaps in that aspect of the turbo build. I've read about too many engines blowing to risk it.

BTW, does anyone know where I could possibly get the pistons cheaper? and on their site they have different compression ratios. should I be reaching for 8.5:1? that was always what I had been told. Or should I stick with the 9:1?

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Personally, I would just do a complete OEM rebuild of your engine and boost that. Then you have internals that will hold your 6-9psi just fine and a 0 mile engine.

Matt

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I would personally go with the 9:1

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
McJonesySi said:
Personally, I would just do a complete OEM rebuild of your engine and boost that. Then you have internals that will hold your 6-9psi just fine and a 0 mile engine.

Matt
well I had my head rebuilt about 40k ago b/c of a bent valve and I dunno if it would really be that necessary to rebuild the entire engine since i'll be doing the pistons with the rings and bearings in that package, plus i'll be changing the water pump and all belts during the build.

what all comes with a typical rebuild? just mainly the stuff i mentioned plus rods right?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Tuff Tuffy7 said:
haha, "when it was running"
What happened to it? How long did it run while boosted?
Im moving to Dallas for the Art Institute up there soon and im not gonna have really any money to do much to my car so that's why im trying to get it all done now. So Im hoping to keep my car reliable. If you guys think stock rods will be ok then why the hell spend the money? Especially if I get that Wiesco Package with all the bearings and everything.
it ran a good 6 months on boost, the motor still runs as of this date but the tranny needs a rebuild (but that was from alot of racing)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts