Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious as to where everyones tranny has broken especially the turbo guys. Reason I ask is becuase the nissan guys have the same problems on thier fwd sr20 trannies and it's easy to fab up reinforcements and have them welded to the case so if everyone could just chime in and give me a clue I would greatly appreciate it.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I don't really know much about trannies, but something tells me that if something happens to cause the case to break, reinforcing the case isn't going to keep the transmission operable... maybe I misunderstood something though.

Edit: hmm... are you talking about like gear stabilizers or something to that effect welded to the case? Forgive my ignorance...

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Usually honda trannies die due to shifting practices rather then power levels.

A case in point is tonybaker, most power of anyone, no tranny problems.

Vs the StreetRacerDudes who powershift and blow trannies apart left and right.
Large shocks are bad, dumping a stage 248 clutch to make the tires chirp is a killer, smooth = good, sharp = bad.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
I had 340k on my 89 tranny(manual), still ran fine when I swapped to a jdm tranny/engine.
my 91 accord (manual)has 325k and shifts like brand new

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
yea bob is right, I havent had any problems with mine its been turbo for years altho i did rebuild it but thats becuase i bought it used and it had seen some abuse, but ya shift it right, and dont do peg leg burns outs and you'll be fine.

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
My old project lude (white 2.0ex carbie) was thrashed alot by prev owner and a month after owning it the differencial went BANGGGG and smashed a huge hole in the gearbox and locked up the front wheels =|

G

·
b20luda said:
yea bob is right, I havent had any problems with mine its been turbo for years altho i did rebuild it but thats becuase i bought it used and it had seen some abuse, but ya shift it right, and dont do peg leg burns outs and you'll be fine.

good ol, one tire fire.

yeah ive never seen a honda tanny blow out from power, just from really crappy driving

·
Registered
135 Posts
My tranny died just a month after i bought the car. 240k kms isnt very much. Think it blew because of crappy driving and maintainance :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts