Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing the EGR port clean, and my drill bit broke off in the center of one of the bronze plugs, flush with the plug. I can't drill a hole next to it without a bit hitting that bit and destroying the new bit. How am I supposed to get it out? Any ideas?

I got out the other 5 plugs so far with no problems, only issue so far.

However I think I'm getting high from all the gas fumes:crazy:

· Registered
1,247 Posts
Just do the cleaning without removing that one. I am sure that the drill did not go all the way through, so you should be fine. Insead of carb/choke cleaner I STRONGLY recommend that you use Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner (MCCC) or GM's version called KLEENS. These are TOP ENGINE cleaners and they are designed exactly just for this type of job. This stuff MELTS CARBON!

and don't forget the plugs

· Registered
1,305 Posts
Damn, your in a pickle, Dick. If you try to push it through, you may end up with either a piece of the drill bit in the engine, or a port plug. I'd go for drilling a hole next to it and say screw messing up the new bit. And don't push so damn hard this time. How you BROKE a drill bit on the plugs is beyond me. They are like paper thin.

· Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up getting a super strong bit that can drill through other bits and making another hole that was snuggled up to the broken bit. I got it deep enough to tap the screw in and pull it out.

And I did use MOPAR CCC, I had an extra can from when I cleaned my other egr valve and shit. It is awesome, it literally melts the shit away. I got 4 soaked rags of black soot out :)

· Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn, your in a pickle, Dick. If you try to push it through, you may end up with either a piece of the drill bit in the engine, or a port plug. I'd go for drilling a hole next to it and say screw messing up the new bit. And don't push so damn hard this time. How you BROKE a drill bit on the plugs is beyond me. They are like paper thin.

They are really cheap bits, one of those like 20 bits in one package for $5

Anyway, It's all done and clean and put back together. Now I am just waiting on my new heater hose to come in from honda, mine had a leak

· Registered
42 Posts
yeah that sucks. i had almost the same problem, i broke a low quality screw, when i did mine too, about a week ago, thought i had to take the whole mani off to get to it, but luckily i had smaller bits and taps that are smaller than the screw i broke. i then took that smaller drill bit and drilled next to, if not overlapping the broken screw. drilled slowly and convinced it with alot of swearing and i manage to unlplug the solid brass plug out.:D

what a pain in the butt.

· Registered
359 Posts
i see you keep breaking bits till you get a big enough space to loosen the other bit and then just screw a screw in it and just plier it all thats what i did. On the other hand i got so high for the fumes I got a massive head ache and i puked lol

· Registered
1 Posts
Good info. I'm a newbie here and would like to clean my EGR ports.

Car (97 Base) has been throwing a CEL - insufficient EGR flow.

I've read many threads about this, but I want to be sure before I work on my car. So I have some questions below:
1) How much carb cleaner do you pour into the ports?
2) Will too much of the cleaner foul the spark plugs?
3) What about the passage between the rectangular port under the EGR valve to the left most port (looking from the front of car), will the carb cleaner take care of that too?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.