Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Power steering adjustment bolt snapped during reinstall of power steering pump.
A small part of the bolt is still in there, but the belt still isn't very tight.

Not sure how to get he fragment out, or if I can leave it in and see if it's tight enough.

Does anybody have a decent picture of what the adjustment bolt looks like installed and uninstalled?

Thanks,

Kris

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Did you loosen but not remove the idler pulley nut first? You will have to remove the entire bracket now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bolt is out

Did you loosen but not remove the idler pulley nut first? You will have to remove the entire bracket now.
Correct, the pulley was really loose, so we tightened it up, apparently too much.

The bolt now needs replaced.

Where to find one?

What is the correct size?

The one I have is 8mm x 1.25 x 110mm including the bolt head.

Seems kind of long, wondering if the alt bolt and power steering pump bolt got swapped by mistake in the past.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

You broke #24 in this picture, right? It is in fact a pretty long bolt. Alas, there's no description for what size the bolt is and it appears to have been discontinued. I suppose there's no harm in asking around, though. It's not a very expensive part even from the dealer.

You could just get a couple of long metric bolts from McMaster-Carr or something like that. They have the selection that you need and you could get it quickly.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Just get a 10.9 bolt. That should be fine.

I have something floating around in the back of my head saying that I've heard that all Honda bolts are 10.9. That may or may not actually be true.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
You stated the pulley was really loose. Just to make sure you are on the same page and don't break another. You have to loosen the pulley nut on the front of the pulley prior to adjusting it. Then retighten the front pulley nut after you get the proper tension on the belt and your done turning the adjustment bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts