Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i've been workin my ass off this summer at my new sales job and i've been setting aside some money to do a little work on the lude. Its a black 01 base 5 speed 100k with an aem v2 and some clean sh rims.

i need new rotors and pads, and im going to be replacing the weather strippin on the windows. i have a quick question about each after doing some reading and searching.

where can i get rear oe brembo rotors for a 5th gen? tirerack and seemingly everyone else ive found doesnt have them. i'd be willing to pay for the slotted and drilled ones but i cant find the rears for those either.

and does anyone have a good blown up image of the rear quarter window weather stripping/window trim. i need to order these from my local dealer. do the rears require that i remove the window to install. i looked around on the car and it doesnt seem like it but i couldnt tell. if this is impossible i might just have them do it cause mine are pretty bad.

thanks for any Advice and help. I did the rotors/pads on my old 2000 LR discovery and it was a BITCH so im interested to see how much easier it will be this time on the lude.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
do the rears require that i remove the window to install. i looked around on the car and it doesnt seem like it but i couldnt tell. if this is impossible i might just have them do it cause mine are pretty bad.

the windows and the moulding is all one piece. In order to get new moulding, you'd need to replace the whole window. :shock: sucks i know.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the windows and the moulding is all one piece. In order to get new moulding, you'd need to replace the whole window. :shock: sucks i know.

aha! i wondered why i couldnt find the part from my local dealer. haha thats a land rover esque move right there to combine 2 parts where one goes bad real quick. its only 70 bucks per though i guess i'll try sand and paint before i pony up for new ones. thanks for the reply.

i still cant find these damn rear rotors. waiting til 8/20 for rear rotors isnt gonna work tire rack!! :devil:

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Tirerack has them there just on back order. Be prepared to wait 2 wks or so.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it says 8/20 on there. im not sure if my shitpieces on there now will make it til then. im already wobbling on basic city stopping.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Well when u order them they will call u and let u know that they are back order. Thats what happened to me. I went ahead and went with something else just because most of ur stopping power comes from the front so theres really no need to spend all that money for the rears.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
whatd ya get? im thinking about the black cryo stop ones.

edit: damnit. the only rear rotors they carry are more than a hundred bucks each and ive never heard of the brands..

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I got ATE for the rears and brembo blanks for the fronts with Hawk Hp pads.. They ar pretty good and cheap.

·
Lambo Lude
3,703 Posts
i have brembo drilled rotors on my fronts, honda rotors on the back and ebc green pads all around.... stops and feels great.... big improvement from stock...i work at advance auto and the rear brembo blanks are also on back order

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the help everyone. i went with the ate's on the back. and hawks ceramic pads. 325 shipped for a complete brake job!! thats 275 less than the parts for my rover were!!

hell yes

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
You could always just get Honda rotors. They're basically the same thing but more expensive.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
rust? rust shouldn't be a real problem should it? i mean if you brake hard enough you should build up enough heat to get rid of that. a 15 min drive to the grocery store would be plenty. i always see rust or some shit on my rotors after a hard rain or whatnot. take her for a spin, come back and boom, no rust.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea while thats not the main reason i was replacing my current rotors, the nice burnt orange color didnt go too well with the rest of the car.

im ready to stop wobblin

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Well you can paint the rotors (only the parts that DO NOT contact the pads) with some high temp paint.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've found that Honda OE rotors don't take hard stops and high heat conditions as well as the brembo OE's. Also if you value the prolonged life and horsepower of your engine I would highly recommend removing the AEM intake and putting a stock air box with a stock air filter back on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've found that Honda OE rotors don't take hard stops and high heat conditions as well as the brembo OE's. Also if you value the prolonged life and horsepower of your engine I would highly recommend removing the AEM intake and putting a stock air box with a stock air filter back on.
Please, explain.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Please, explain.
You gain between .5 to 1.5 horsepower with a stock to moderately modified engine with an AEM. The amount of particles the AEM and almost every after market intake let in are devastating to the longevity of the engine, namely the piston rings. When the cylinders are filled up with air any particles that get past the air intake end up in the engine. So this means that very fine particles are able to past through the air filter and into the engine far easier with an after market filter than with the stock one. These particles come into the engine with the "filtered" air and cause addition friction on the piston rings and cylinders which leads to premature wear. This shortens the time to engine failure as well as cutting down power due to ineffectiveness in the mean time. Also hydro locking is far more prone to occur because the after market intake systems lack all of the water safety protection the stock intake offers.

The biggest thing I hear people say on the subject is, "yah but race cars use them!"
That is true, but for a couple of different reasons. The first big reason is that every horsepower counts, especially in a lower horsepower class. The second is that race cars are used a track which is usually clean and even if it isn't, the car is being used for a very short periods of time. Puddles generally don't occur on race tracks, as mentioned above, after market intakes offer little or no water protection especially the cold air intakes. Lastly, race cars engines are rebuilt fairly often so the amount of extra wear caused by the particles is rarely enough to be a problem.

After market intakes are fine for race cars but have serious side effects for street cars. The side effects are very difficult for the user to detect or really notice until it's too late. The horsepower gain on the 4th/5th gens is such a negligible amount and is offset greatly by the potential damage to your engine. That is why I recommend to anyone willing to listen to avoid after market intakes on their street car.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts