Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my master cylinder (I think thats what went out) went out I think cus I lose all my brake fluid like REAL FAST!! my car all of a sudden is POURING out smoke I mean POURING it out when im stopped for a lil bit like someone just duimped a quart of oil in the intake but then it clears up. Has anyone ever heard of the master cylinder making it smoke like this?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Brake fluid is real nasty stuff, probably it's screwing with your cylinder walls really badly (I assume the caustic s**t can break down oil). I'd change the oil right quick if I were you, just to be safe. Probably not the best for the environment either, to burn that crap. But seeing the number of people here who take out their cats because their state doesn't check 'em anymore... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think itd hurt the cylinder walls because brake fluid wont eat metal so. but its unplugged now im crossin my fingers that, thats what the problem was. so if it is brake fluid thats going into the itnake its gotta be the Diaphragm. would I just need to change the booster then or>?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Well if brake fluid can dissolve oil (which I seriously think it can) then it would create a metal-on-metal situation between the cylinders and pistons. Doubleplusungood.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what ingesting brake fluid will do to an engine. I had a 65 Volvo P1800S that did this to me. I drove it about 5 miles billowing out smoke like a mosquito abatement truck. It didn't harm the engine. But in the early days of vacuum brake boosters this was a fairly common occurance and I know that engines were ruined as a result.

I know...I'll go look it up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
maybe the check valve is bad? And by the way just so that you don't buy the wrong part its the Brake booster not the master cylinder that these guys are talking about. the brake booster is the big thing between your firewall and master cylinder that looks like a donut. Mines is goin out too my brake pedal is solid as a rock unless i'm crusing about 3000 rpm and even then i can only press the brakes once and have to let it re "pressurize"

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
"Newspeak" from 1984 by George Orwell, of course.

Bonus points for his real name anyone?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i think i mighta found the cause. the gasket that goes from the master cylinder to the booster was tits up so I replaced it with one of my other lude. doesnt SEEM to be leaking anymore. could the brake fluid have been going through there and getting sucked through the vacumn hose and causing the smoke? Im still trying to make sure it was that that was making the smoke. im going on a 300 mile road trip tommorow so im getting worried

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
brake fluid is a lot like trans fluid.

a little put through your engine will clean carbon and junk.... its an old trick thats been done for years (trans fluid). a lot going through your engine will strip the oil from the cyl. walls and thats bad.

you have fixed so it is good. i would change the oil now.

i personally would not of drove the car if i saw that much smoke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts