Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the most unusual problem with my 89 SI. The indicator on the dash is telling me I have a burnt out brake light but all the lights are working. Also, when I press the brakes the turn signal indicator on the dash light up about half the brightness of normal. When I have the turn signal on (either left or right) and I press the brakes, the turn signal starts blinking fast like there is a burnt out turn signal light. Again, there are no burnt out lights. If I pull the fuse for the turn signal, the brakes work fine and the bad brake light indicator on the dash does not light up (but the turn signal does not work). I could not find a fuse for the brake lights. I tore the entire car apart looking for a short and I found none (what a mess). This took me three days. I checked the flasher but it works fine. Anyone have any ideas? I have already checked the obvious like bad bulbs, shorted bulbs, shorted wires, flasher, bad brake switch, bad turn signal switch, bad hazard light switch, etc. I was thinking, there must be a module that is making the brake lights blink when you turn the turn signal on. Where is that thing and what does it look like? I suspect that may be my problem, but I do not know where it is and what it looks like. I love this car but man what a headache this has been. I have had the car for 7 or 8 years and I have never had a problem like this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Memento Mori
7,511 Posts
Could be a ground issue. This is for a 90-91 but it will be mostly the same, check all the brake and turn signal ground locations:

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I think somebody in last year or so had something similar maybe and it turned out to be a corroded front turn signal connector or socket.

Speaking of grounds I know this same person or someone else that had something similar found the ground for the front lights that is sandwiched between the engine bay fuse box and the body was corroded.

I would probably start with the dash ground for the gauges and quite possibly for the brake switch. I know people over the years has had to clean it and sand it to make good ground. It is to the right of the steering column right about or just above where the shifter console plastic cover mates up with the dash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ground

Take a look at the grounding wire right side in the trunk right next to the antenna... slightly to the rear of the antenna. You'll have to peel back the lining. I had a somewhat similar issue... grounding wire was loose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts