Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 99 sh, and they both turn on and turn off randomly. anyhelp ? im assuming the alternator is bad af but i dont want to automatically jump the gun since they do cost a bit in the auto parts store and they dont really have much preludes in junkyards.. with that would i be able to put another year and model alternator if i find one in the yard?

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Typically the brake and battery lights illuminate when the charging system has an issue. Start small- check your connections on your alternator first and foremost. It's possible that the nut securing the charging wire is loose, or that the plug is working its way free on the side of the alternator. Next, check your engine grounds- there should be at least two of them.

If that's not it, go and get your current unit tested at the parts store, they should be able to tell you if something is wrong with it.

Also, avoid parts-store brand alternators. If nothing else, look for a local shop that rebuilds starters and alternators, and have them rebuild your OE unit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts