Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 98 lude and on the way home I hit a puddle of water and the brake and battery light came on. What could be the problem with this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
just bought a 98 lude and on the way home I hit a puddle of water and the brake and battery light came on. What could be the problem with this.
My 01 did the same thing a few minutes after I bought it, and then regularly on and off for weeks until I installed a new alternator, one year later it has never happened again.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If the puddle was big enough that it splashed water up into the alternator, it could have been damaged. Otherwise, maybe just a loose wire. Have you checked the wiring connections at the alternator? The brake light only comes on because of low fluid level or the e-brake. Check the fluid level. If it is okay, you may need to replace the reservoir lid. We've seen plenty of the 98-02 Hondas need replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did same thing and my idol just surged up and down just got distributor wet I believeLet it dry out for a couple days it’ll be fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did same thing and my idol just surged up and down just got distributor wet I believeLet it dry out for a couple days it’ll be fine
Mine has been sitting since last friday... checked battery with meter last night and I'm getting 11.6V with car running. No CEL.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i just had the same problem...battery and brake light on....about 11.9ish volts at battery with engine running....replaced alternator solved problem...alternator did 305,000 kms i believe...took apart old one brushes worn to limit and shaft deeply worn/scored at one brush contact...still not sure why the BRAKE light comes on...maybe they mean ...STOP NOW?..lol.....i didnt get a cel either.....maybe to confirm probe voltage at alternator batt terminal to eliminate most wiring issues

1 - 6 of 6 Posts