Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, this applies to A LOT of Hondas, but you're my favorites so I'll tell you guys what I learned first.

This might be obvious or well known to a lot of people but hopefully I can save someone some money.

Alright so, for brake upgrades for 3rd gens people usually go for newer Preludes, Accords, Legend dual pistons, or NSX calipers.

As many of you know, these calipers and brackets are more or less interchangeable, you have the 23T, the 25T, and the 28T. These designate the thickness of the caliper the bracket is intended to work with.

Now, I mistakenly assumed that they would all totally work together. They do fit together, however the CALIPER ITSELF does not always work with the thicker rotor that the bracket does.

My rotor was too thick to fit under my calipers with my pads installed by a good 3 mm. I had to go get my rotors turned down by a LOT and it still doesn't comfortably fit. So basically I wasted a bunch of money.

Be mindful of the inner area of your caliper before trying to fit together some weird Frankenstein set up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So is the consensus to go for Legend dual piston calipers and use their mounting bracket and rotors?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is the consensus to go for Legend dual piston calipers and use their mounting bracket and rotors?
That's what I'm going to do, and probably what I should've done to begin with. However, I'm doing something much different than what most people on here will be doing.

I assumed a standard Prelude caliper would work with the Legend bracket. It does "work", but my rotor and pads together won't fit under the Prelude caliper, even while using the bracket.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good to note. When I finish the interior of my Honda and do the modifications to the exterior of the car, I'll go for Legend caliper/bracket/rotors with steel braided brake lines.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to note. When I finish the interior of my Honda and do the modifications to the exterior of the car, I'll go for Legend caliper/bracket/rotors with steel braided brake lines.
I'd do plenty of research first. It might not necessarily be best for you. It works for me because of what I'm doing, but there is a lot of debate on what's "best" and the legend calipers do have some draw backs. You'd probably be fine using 4th or 5th gen VTEC calipers and rotors.

I'm using rotors from a Nissan so my options are a bit more limited.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been doing research into it. I'll have to decide where I'm going to source rotors since I'm sticking with 4-lugs. Thanks for the insight, makes it a lot easier to read into.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been doing research into it. I'll have to decide where I'm going to source rotors since I'm sticking with 4-lugs. Thanks for the insight, makes it a lot easier to read into.
Just get whatever rotors match up, for you probably 4th or 5th gen rotors and drill new holes for the lug bolts.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Erm...

It might be better for you to tell us all exactly what disc/rotor you're using as so far that's the only one that doesn't fit (from those we've used so far).
All discs/rotors that match the original caliper will work with the correct bracket.
If you usea disc/rotor that is bigger then you'll likely have clearance issues.
Such as : A NSX disc/rotor probably won't clear a 4G VTEC caliper or bracket. But a 4G VTEC disc/rotor certainly will and will also clear in a NSX caliper and/or bracket.

The only reason this info helps is if people use a disc/rotor that no-one else has tried yet.

And machining a disc/rotor to size/fit is removing a lot of what you bought it for. Makes more sense to just go with one of the ones that fit as is.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Erm...

It might be better for you to tell us all exactly what disc/rotor you're using as so far that's the only one that doesn't fit (from those we've used so far).
All discs/rotors that match the original caliper will work with the correct bracket.
If you usea disc/rotor that is bigger then you'll likely have clearance issues.
Such as : A NSX disc/rotor probably won't clear a 4G VTEC caliper or bracket. But a 4G VTEC disc/rotor certainly will and will also clear in a NSX caliper and/or bracket.

The only reason this info helps is if people use a disc/rotor that no-one else has tried yet.

And machining a disc/rotor to size/fit is removing a lot of what you bought it for. Makes more sense to just go with one of the ones that fit as is.
Well, I'm referring to the thickness itself.

I'm using a caliper relocation bracket, so almost no one will be using the same 12.6" rotor that I am. However the important thing to consider for everyone is the thickness itself of the rotor and not just the overall size.

If I remember correctly, the NSX rotor is a 28mm rotor, so of course it won't clear the caliper that I'm using. The rotor I'm using is also 28mm.

My point being is that I didn't take into consideration the thickness of the rotor mattering to the caliper I'm using because I'm stupid and for some reason I was thinking that a different bracket would just make a thicker rotor fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts