Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking. the brake booster uses vaccumm to work. so if your boosting shouldnt that stop the booster from working? or is it fine because you have to take your foot off the accelerator to break and once the throttle plate closes it is creating vaccumm?

·
Registered
435 Posts
i would check to see if there is a check valve on the brake booster line. in know that there is a small vacuum tank in the vacuum control box (on the firewall) used with a check valve. just go over the diagrams in the online manual.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Yup to both of those.

The brake booster has a one way valve on it, so it stores some vacuum to use, about one pedal push worth.
After that, it needs more vacuum from the engine to function.

If for instance that line comes off, or the throttle sticks, you'll discover that without the booster you have to press 2.2 times as hard to get any braking done.

Boost doesn't really enter into the picture, as it is prevented from getting to the brake booster by the one way valve.

Try doing a full throttle run in 5th, and press the brakes a few times, you'll feel 'em go rock hard and stop working, thats you running out of vacuum.

M

·
0 Posts
flip the vacuum line that goes into the booster, this was my problem...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mikeyslude said:
flip the vacuum line that goes into the booster, this was my problem...
what do you mean flip it? is there a check valve that is in there? wouldnt that cancle the valves function. is this a big problem that i need to llok at?

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Putting the check valve in backwards will cause nothing but problems.

No power brakes, and under boost you'll have pressure holding your foot OFF the brakes. No good.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Nope, won't be a problem(assuming the valve works), make sure it has hoseclamps on it though, you do NOT want that hose to blow off under boost :p

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
You shouldnt have any problems, I'm actually tapping into the Booster line to get my vacuum source for all my Turbo needs. No issues or loss of braking at all.

And Bob is 100% right..put on clamps that hold good as sometimes they get a little hard/expamded and sit on loosely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts