Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we went to check out a 87 Accord LX, it looked pretty clean, some paint problems and missing emblems, but it was still cool. It had 137,xxx miles and when they started it up it sounded fine. We were looking for a car for my sis so we wouldn't have to drive 30 minutes everyday picking her up from school.

She was real excited, i was too cuz it looked pretty nice. Test drove it today went real well, trans was a little off when shifting, reminding me of my lude. =P but it didn't seem too serious. Looked around the car, engine, tires, etc. all good. The car was very low on oil, he said he hadn't checked on it for awhile. It didn't seem like a prob at the time, just throw some in when we take it home. We came back 30 minutes later with the money and drove off. My mom notices that there's white smoke emitting from the exhaust, so we pull over and sure enough it was. The car had felt much more rough this time around too.

Called the guy up, says he didn't know about it, and that it was normal for an old car. (My lude is older and it doesn't spew white smoke!!!:evil smile: ) He seemed upset about it, but we took it home to see if there was anything we could do. By the time we got home the car smelled toasted and there was a lot of oil leaking, leaving a streak on the road. Not to mention a big puddle after about 30 seconds. The weird thing was that there was no leak when we checked it out over there. I'm surprised that he didn't know about the white smoke, and there's no way he could not have known about the oil leak. Yet he didn't tell us.

We're going to take it back tomorrow, first thing in the morning. Would have done it today but i had school, and there wouldn't be anyone to take my mom back, etc. My sis is real upset about the car being a junker, that was all she was thinking about today, which makes me feel kinda sad. Bastard was one of them christian guys, you know listen to christian radio and stuff, he was all, "God Bless you!" as we left. What a ****. :roll:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, he wanted it back tonight, he's worried about us keeping the car out here. :roll: But we were too damn busy to take it back.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Atleast he is going to take it back:D
My first car was an 86 accord junker. How much did you guys buy it for?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1,400. . .seemed like a steal at the time.

·
Premium Member
17,737 Posts
brentm said:
Atleast he is going to take it back:D
My first car was an 86 accord junker. How much did you guys buy it for?
Yeah at least he is going to take it back.

Do a big burnout on his lawn when you leave

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That's not that bad of a price for an accord that old. Shitty that it didn't turn out to be as great as you thought. What other cars were you looking at getting?

·
Registered
472 Posts
You are lucky he is dumb/nice enough to refund your money. Legally, he doesnt have to. "as-is no warranties" especially on private sales. I sell alot of cars privately but I am straight up with the buyers about problems with the car if any.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
picked up an auto 88 accord a month ago in prime condition for 250 bucks....boy do i love minnesota. she still runs like a champ.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took it back today, fool tried to say it was the carbs. =P He calls later and says that he's going to have it fixed, replace the rings and sell it to us for 1K. The mechanic will fix it for 200 bucks? I don't think so. Dude lied to us once, we're not going to trust his ass on this one.

And If he neglected to check the engine oil, he most def neglected the trans oil as well. I can garauntee that the trans will go out in a month or two, same thing happened with my lude. =(

So that's the end of that! We're now looking into a corolla wagon for my sis! :lol:

·
TT driving lude fan
1,171 Posts
damn that sucks! glad he took it back though. you should ask butters for a lude! :wink: hes got plenty to spare lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
If I bought a car as old as me it would be considered antique according to the DMV :tongue2:

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts