Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am wanting to lower my car with,
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?&make=H%26R&model=Sport+Spring+Set&group=Sport+Spring+Set&autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Prelude+Si&autoYear=1993&autoModClar=&partNum=29879&perfCode=S
also, i have stock struts.

I just wanted to know some opinions in lowering it. i feel as if i will be bottoming out on everything, my driveway makes a peak sorta. where its flat then there is a hill after the sidewalk to get to the road. and like going up a 35 degree hill from flat. haha sorry, couldnt really explain correctly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well if you scrape now then i'm sure you'll scrape a little more then. Just take it into the driveway slower. Those are just sport springs so you won't be slammed. You should be okay if you take it easy around the bumps.

·
iHeart iVTEC
3,933 Posts
when you lower your car, you need to change a lot of your old driving habits. you cant ever whip into a driveway, even if its the tinyest slope, you'll still scrape. try to avoid speedbumps when you can. but as long as you take those slopes slowly, and dont pull into your driveway straight, take it at an angle, you'll be fine.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks everyone. but, would i be a good idea to get new struts? or does that really matter?

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
93SIdood said:
ok, thanks everyone. but, would i be a good idea to get new struts? or does that really matter?
Yes it would be a good idea. A very intellgent idea for that matter if for no other reason than the time you save by swapping both at the same time is worth 10x the price.

A set of 4 tokico blues can be had for a hair over 200 including shipping.

As far as why it's a good idea? Yet again I quote from Prelude3g.com...

Why shouldnt I put an aftermarket spring on stock shocks?
This is why you dont just throw any damned spring on the stock shocks - you all that want a technical answer - this is it. It takes power to stop a progressive rate spring. Your stock springs are not progressive. They are evenly spaced apart. This means when you hit a bump in the road, the entire spring can compress, there are no dead coils persay. It takes a lot less power to stop a non progressive spring. Think of it like you have a 1 foot long spring with evenly spaced coils, you hold it down, and let it go. Now you do that again with a 8 inch tall spring that has all the coils near the top all close together, even touching. THis means that you have a lot less spring pushing it. BUt principal physics says its going to decompress a hell of a lot quicker, thus faster.
Now, I am a supporter of Eibach, they have awesome quality springs. They are a world renound company. But despite whatever they say, over and over, and whatever your friends or people on this board say, you cant make a shorter, progressive rate spring to work with stock shocks. Its springrate may be at the limits, it may feel about like stock, but it aint. under your car your shocks are working the hardest they have in a while to carry that springload. Now, whatever the claims, however long your friends have had them, is absolutely fabulous, go for it. If they say they are for stockers, then they are. But I have seen prokits blow stock shocks as fast as race springs. It happens easily. However, they are the least likely to do it. So if you are gonna cheap out, cheap out the right way. (I wonder if I could get that published in an oxy moron book...)
---

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, ok. Thats what i was thinking. since the work together and all. Would the tokico blues be the best for the price or just good overall? Would the springs i first listed be good choice as for quality? Also, what is coilover? isnt that just the whole setup of the strut and spring, pre-put together?

·
iHeart iVTEC
3,933 Posts
93SIdood said:
how many miles are on the car? i'd say, if you have less then 100k miles, you might be good for like a week with stock struts until they blow or they annoy the hell out of you. but def. replace struts, its kinda like the whole water pump/t-belt idea...if your gonna do one, you'll have everything apart to replace the other...so why not?

and tokico HP (blues) struts will work perfectly with those H&R springs you posted

im rocking suspension technique springs (1" drop) with tokico hp struts, awesome, awesome ride.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 93 with 160k miles on it. do u like the 1" drop over a 1.5"? With the H&R and the tokico hp, it would be around $550? Is that average price?

·
iHeart iVTEC
3,933 Posts
93SIdood said:
I have a 93 with 160k miles on it. do u like the 1" drop over a 1.5"? With the H&R and the tokico hp, it would be around $550? Is that average price?
3rd gens tend to ride low in stock form, so i opted for the shortest drop possible, and can honestly say, if i ever need to replace my springs, i'll going with suspension techniques...may not be the most noticeable drop, but i still scrape just about everywhere i go. $550 sounds about right, i paid right around $200 for the struts, and just about the same price for the springs, but suspension technique isnt as expensive as H&R.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh, ok. do you know a site that has the combo i said? i dont wanna buy from two different sites. thanks

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
I got my h and r's for 160ish and the blues for 225.

Check eBay and kingmotorsports.

I realize that prices are different for each generation, but I got my set for a bit over 400.

Cheap, but it's not like there are any options out there for the 3rd gens...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 12 of 12 Posts