Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the sizes for the B20A5 engine I'm buying a rebuild kit and didnt know the size for (bore/bearings) I dont plan on doing any mods just want it stock up and running. Thx again

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
680 Posts
You need to have the engine all the way apart before you order parts. You'll need to determine whether or not the cylinders require a bore to size the pistons. If it's too far worn, you'll have to bore to the next size up, getting those size pistons and rings. Likewise with the bearings - you'll need to check out the crank and determine whether or not you need oversize bearings based on wear. I'm afraid I can't be any more specific than that - I'm also in the process of a complete rebuild, and stupid me ordered OEM size parts before I had the engine apart to check these things. It's a B21A1 I'm rebuilding and I'm sure the piston and ring size is fine based on the minor wear of the FRM cylinder walls, but I haven't got to the crank yet. STD size bearings came in the kit, but until I have it all apart and see the condition of the crank, I don't know if I'll be able to use them. Your B20A5 has iron cylinder sleeves instead of the FRM, which is much easier to work with....but also wears more significantly, so you might very well need to have it bored. The way iron sleeves wear is pretty predictable to automotive machinists, and the guy that looks over your block will probably be able to tell you what you need just by looking at it before he starts measuring things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to have the engine all the way apart before you order parts. You'll need to determine whether or not the cylinders require a bore to size the pistons. If it's too far worn, you'll have to bore to the next size up, getting those size pistons and rings. Likewise with the bearings - you'll need to check out the crank and determine whether or not you need oversize bearings based on wear. I'm afraid I can't be any more specific than that - I'm also in the process of a complete rebuild, and stupid me ordered OEM size parts before I had the engine apart to check these things. It's a B21A1 I'm rebuilding and I'm sure the piston and ring size is fine based on the minor wear of the FRM cylinder walls, but I haven't got to the crank yet. STD size bearings came in the kit, but until I have it all apart and see the condition of the crank, I don't know if I'll be able to use them. Your B20A5 has iron cylinder sleeves instead of the FRM, which is much easier to work with....but also wears more significantly, so you might very well need to have it bored. The way iron sleeves wear is pretty predictable to automotive machinists, and the guy that looks over your block will probably be able to tell you what you need just by looking at it before he starts measuring things.
Dang its cool we all learn from mistakes but sadly my car is up north and cant really measure it on my own plus do not have the tools or skill to rebuild it I was gonna send my father a kit to get it rebuild he has a friend that does that, I do know there was no knock or any problem it ran great and hauled ass for its age Im just wanting to rebuild it completely to stop a bit of oil leaking and thought why not just do the whole thing since I have the dosh laying around and could use some love would like to have her still in my collection.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
680 Posts
If an oil leak is the problem you need to solve and it otherwise runs great, I'd just put some fresh gaskets, cam seals and a timing kit on it, adjust valve lash and call it a day. You can drive it in the meantime, and take the engine apart and rebuild it when you're in closer proximity to the car.

Reactions: I Precise I
1 - 4 of 4 Posts