Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking for a cheap way to boost a 5th gen prelude without sacrificing reliability. Specifically, i am looking for something that will cost under 1.5 grand.. Supercharger and turbocharger both are fine as to what i am looking for. i just want something that is lower in price, reliable, and adds performance to the engine.. i will be doing all of the work myself as i have experience working with cars. however, this is my first time boosting..

·
Bearderator
8,521 Posts
I think the general consensus is this:

Cheap
Reliable
Boosted

You may only pick two of the three.

That being said, there's a wealth of knowledge available here so stick around a bit and you'll get some answers.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Plan on spending alot more money than that if you plan on going FI, you might wanna do some searching on the forum, this topic has been covered many of times just a fyi.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There is no way you will be able to do it for less than $1500 and have your engine last more than a day unless: 1. you don't drive the car ever or 2. you steal all the parts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Hi, I am looking for a cheap way to boost a 5th gen prelude without sacrificing reliability. Specifically, i am looking for something that will cost under 1.5 grand.. Supercharger and turbocharger both are fine as to what i am looking for. i just want something that is lower in price, reliable, and adds performance to the engine.. i will be doing all of the work myself as i have experience working with cars. however, this is my first time boosting..
Kyleb1115 (virtually) stole his JRSC for $900. If you kept it at 6psi, your stock internals should be safe. You should pretty much never use the tuning kit that comes with the JRSC, but if you got a cheap AFR and ignition tuning piggy back, I could still see you safely boosting for under $1500.

Everyone's kneejerk response here is to say no. Dare to say yes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been told over and over again that i cant do this.. but i am almost positive that it can be done. I'm not talking crazy amounts of boost to the engine. If I was to say only give 6 psi to the engine i would be fine right? and that should add somewhere around 50-60hp? How much psi can the engine handle safely? Is it under 10 psi or like playludesc said, 6psi?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a quick look on ebay and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-01-HONDA...de&vxp=mtr&hash=item19ccdef9ed#ht_5960wt_1185

I am not even sure what brand that is, but it seemed kinda cheap. maybe a little too cheap. I want the turbo to also be dependable. I was thinking if i get a turbo i could just limit the psi, but maybe i should be looking for something else like a smaller and better quality turbo? im just throwing things out there..

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Ebay turbos are garbage. You cannot design a part that spins at 100,000+ RPMs in china for less than $200 that will not turn into a grenade when used.

Lets say you find a perfectly good name brand turbo that has no shaft play, and is in good order for $200 You cheap out on the ebay log manifold and spend 6+ hours with die grinders cleaning up the terrible welds and all the slag that the factory left inside the manifold. You go with a older name brand wastegate, and find used injectors somewhere. Basically you have your turbo, manifold, wastegate, blow off valve, injectors, and ECU for $1500.

For refrence, you can go look at my build thread. I spent roughly $500 on pipe. Yes.... pipe. Stupid stupid pipes. Intercooler piping kit from ebay was $200, cane with couplers and all that. Went with a 3" exhaust piping kit for $280 shipped to my door from Kteller, No point in putting a turbo on a car and having a stock exhaust... This does not include the $200 i spent on a muffler and resonator from vibrant.

I had to spend another $30 on a 2" to 2.5" reducer elbow to go from the turbo to the charge piping. I spent $15 on a gasket for the turbo to the manifold, $25 on a flange for the downpipe, $15 for the gasket for the downpipe flange, $80 on two 180deg 3" bends of SS piping for the downpipe, another $40 on the flex pipe for the downpipe, $7.50 for o2 sensor bungs, $35 for a roll of silicone vaccum line, $10 on fittings for boost controler vaccum lines....

Do you have a clutch that can handle your power goal? Nothing like having a stock clutch die on the dyno. Don't overlook that.

Those little $200 random make this fit to this part orders add up FAST. None of those parts are exceptionally exciting, but they add up, and they're all needed.

Boost is an expensive game. Just when you think you have everything, another $200 gets spent, then another $100 there, $80 there.

Funny thing is... I'm only looking for 300hp.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
heres my old setup
neptune rtp installed in p28 - 350
holset hx35 - 50
xspower 46mm gate - 50
homemade manifold and downpipe - 400ish
ebay intercooler and piping - 100
hks bov - free
dsm 450s - 50
oil lines - 70ish

thats a little over 1000 bucks right there and minus the injectors you can make 400hp on that. people think boost is so damn expensive. if you take your time and find deals you can piece shit together for cheap.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My $0.02 on something that goes along with boosting a Prelude.

On top of the cost to do a good turbo build you've gotta factor in that the car is now going to be quite a bit quicker if you do things right. You're gonna want to beef up the suspension and brakes, make sure good tires are on it, etc.

If you want it to be functional in more ways than going fast in a straight line with nobody around, it's a decent amount of money and work to do this to a car that didn't come with parts from the manufacturer that revolve around turbo power.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My $0.02 on something that goes along with boosting a Prelude.

On top of the cost to do a good turbo build you've gotta factor in that the car is now going to be quite a bit quicker if you do things right. You're gonna want to beef up the suspension and brakes, make sure good tires are on it, etc.turbo power.
I would think beefing up suspension and brake systems would be done without saying. Personally, I have started with that stuff before even thinking about going for any gains in the HP/Torque department.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would think beefing up suspension and brake systems would be done without saying. Personally, I have started with that stuff before even thinking about going for any gains in the HP/Torque department.
It would be the same for me also.

Just giving some input to the OP in terms of cost if the inquirer has not thought of this. If he has already, then that's great too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, i have already taken all that into account. I am just unsure of what kind of name brand turbo is fairly inexpensive to buy, like used or anything. I do not know exactly what to look for. I know you can virtually install any turbo out there, but do not know what specific ones are more practical and convenient. Also, i have been looking into a few preludes, and some of them have a 'new jdm engine (h22a still, but just a little more power)' both motor and tranny have less than 70k but body has damages such as scratch, rust, etc.. I was wondering if this jdm swap is even a good idea and what i shoudl look for to check if the swap was even done correctly. Other preludes have considerably higher mileleage around 150-160k. Is this still good? What exactly should i be looking for?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea, i have already taken all that into account. I am just unsure of what kind of name brand turbo is fairly inexpensive to buy, like used or anything. I do not know exactly what to look for. I know you can virtually install any turbo out there, but do not know what specific ones are more practical and convenient.

There is a lot of debate as to what turbos are good or bad for boosting preludes I have found, however I have found a very universal and solid turbo is a DSM 14B or 16G. you can find these for around a hundred bucks on ebay for a 14B, a little more for a 16G. you wouldn't really need a 16G for what you want however because its a larger turbo and in turn spools later giving you more annoying boost lag. My 14B hits full boost at 9 psi at about 3000 rpms so its a very quick spooling turbo and has a long powerband range that brings me right into Vtec :). you can pick up a cast prelude turbo manifold on ebay for like 90 bucks, with that however you will need a T3 to DSM adapter for like twenty or more. this is exactly what I did wit my 01 Civic H22 to boost it and I got everything on it for about $1000 after it was all said and done. reliability? not much worse, more parts on it now so more stuff to break but its been good for me. It's not tuned wit anything YET but i plan on getting something this summer. Oh, and for the record i have put almost 25K on that civic since turboing it without any loss of compression or any noticeable problems yet. the more money you put into the build the better it will be for your car yes, but you can do it for cheap. the main reason I did it was just to say I could lol

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Yea, i have already taken all that into account. I am just unsure of what kind of name brand turbo is fairly inexpensive to buy, like used or anything. I do not know exactly what to look for. I know you can virtually install any turbo out there, but do not know what specific ones are more practical and convenient. Also, i have been looking into a few preludes, and some of them have a 'new jdm engine (h22a still, but just a little more power)' both motor and tranny have less than 70k but body has damages such as scratch, rust, etc.. I was wondering if this jdm swap is even a good idea and what i shoudl look for to check if the swap was even done correctly. Other preludes have considerably higher mileleage around 150-160k. Is this still good? What exactly should i be looking for?
As for the H22a, just buy one with 30k on it from hmotors online.

Either way... HX35 would be a pretty inexpensive snail.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts