Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before everyone flames me. I've done a search. But this is intended for pple who have automatics with boost. No i prolly wont plan on boosting my lude. i plan on paying off the lude and getting maybe an s2000 in 2 years. However, what i want to know is those who have boosted automatics, what are the problems you've run into. What were the pro's and con's you ran into. Have you had a gayass time with your tranny because of it, and so forth. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My 4th gen auto is fairly strong but I would not recommend anything over maybe a 65-75 shot in the SS tranny. A supercharger would be pushing it and boost would be asking for trouble.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mhmm..yes, i was just trying to gather all the info on exactly the problems auto ludes have with boost. But i have a hard time seeing why low boost, such as 4-7psi would be harmful. I hear there are some pple who have no problem at all, while others have issues. But an interesting observation, ive found that pple who own 97-99 ludes have serious tranny issues, especially under boost, but thsoe with 00-01 have mild to no problems at all with thsi tranny. Would anyone concur to this observation as being fairly true. Did they improve the auto tranny for the 00-01 models. Becua they did up the power sumone and possibly fixed some things. IDK for sure

I was mainly looking at a JRSC for low end power.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
More power just stresses the transmission more.

Boosting on an auto is asking for trouble, but boosting in general is asking for trouble. Several people out there have run JRSCs on auto ludes and done okay.

But if it blows up, well, it blows up. And there is little you can do to guard against that.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah...hmm..I'd like to find out those pple who run a JRSC on their autos. But there isnt anyone on this forum that does. As far as i know.
Blue01, do you know for sure who these pple are and like how much they were putting to the wheels?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Our local guy with a JRSC auto got 201whp (if I recall correctly) with a fairly nice header & E-manage.

There are others out there on the interweb (like shark, for example)

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm..thats not too bad, but is it worth 3k? *lol* i mean 160whp to 200whp is a big jump. I wonder what that feels like or what it wud feel like in my lude. Any idea on how much tq and his 1/4 mile times are?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
TQ was probably 150s/160s. JRSC and stock powerbands look identical, the JRSC just shifts them up. Dunno if he's taken it to the track.

If you price it out, make sure to get everything.

Kit
E-manage (or something similar, but other similar systems are rare. Shark had something else)
Big injectors
Tuning

That's the bare minimum. Plus keep the cost of a new engine and transmission in reserve for if/when it blows up.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so about 20 extra tq? idk, i guess that's good, but there are pple who make like 170-180 wtq, how do they achieve that?

And 220-230whp

I mean would the difference be earth shattering and worth 3k, thats my questions. I dont wanna like spend 3k and be like..well fuck that was a waist, now i can do low 15's *rolls eyes*

also, my question, why does the prelude put such shitty whp down to the ground, while many other cars hardly loose a few hp ..oh for instance like the scion tc or something *lol* or may rsx-s

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
A stock SS is going to put down like 12x wtq. So its a bit more of a gain than that.

Those numbers you mention are nice boltons + JRSC on a MT Prelude.

You'll spend more than $3k, I guarantee you.

Honda doesn't underrate its cars any. With the Prelude I'd say it overrated them some (especially with the 195/200 bs). Some manufacturers do. That simple.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i have i/h/2.5" exhaust with high flow cat, vafc2 controller, i mean i wud assume id get good gains. I guess 130lbs of tq comapred to 155lbs is decent, thats like 25wtq, i wonder how noticable that is. I just wondering if its worth 3grand to blow. Or just collect my wounded and wait till i get a new car

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
there's a guy in Maryland running a JRSC on an auto prelude.. i believe he has a tranny cooler and that's it to protect his tranny. Last i heard, he hadn't had any problems. See if the NOVA guys that have the meets know who he is. I believe his lude is silver!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
cars differ in the power they put to the ground because of their transmission.

a transmission is a machine, and no machine is 100% efficient. in other words, you're never going to get what you put in back out of it because of factors like friction, heat, rotational mass, etc, etc. hundreds of different variables, especially when talking about something as complex as an automatic transmission, or even a manual one.

input > output

an automatic transmission is simply much less efficient at transferring energy.

rsx's are newer than our cars and with that comes advances in technology.

i really wish they would've forced the scientific method down people's throats more in high school.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well in 2 years i hope to get an s2k, i was thinking about it today at work, i shud trade in the lude and get an s2k right now *lol* ahhh..dreams, and hopes. Anyone hear of what a jrsc auto lude runs at the 1/4 mile?

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there's a guy in Maryland running a JRSC on an auto prelude.. i believe he has a tranny cooler and that's it to protect his tranny. Last i heard, he hadn't had any problems. See if the NOVA guys that have the meets know who he is. I believe his lude is silver!
whats the cooler? is it a liquid or what? and do you pour it in the radiator or the transmission?

1 - 20 of 221 Posts