Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im starting a full on time attack race car to compete in races like the superlap battle. i want it to run in the unlimited FF class. im building the whole engine and then boosting it i want to get the most power out of it as possible. but i dont want to have to much turbo lag cause of the racing its goin to do it cant really have that. so any ideas.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
yeah, dont use a t3/t4. use a t3 or 14b or 16g, anything somewhat small. as for the rest of the turbo specs, it all depends what rpm range you'll be in the majority of the time

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i was thinking smaller so i could hit boost faster when i come out of the turns. but that affects how much power i can make. so any way to stay with a smaller turbo but still make good power. help the flow in the heads and intake, and open up the exhaust what else?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
you'll burn the tires all day man, don't boost it, every once in a while i see a boosted RR civic or something, and its only that way for about 1 season and then goes back to NA

and if you don't roast them every corner you'll at very least wear them out WAY too fast

i would build a nice reliable NA engine and save money for tires and track entry fees

otherwise though, i can't really give you a recco on a turbo, since i only really follow RR cars and high HP cars

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
well, you could try to install and fab up a actual belt powered super charger, all the boost you want with virtually no lag.

thats why i would try if i wanted no lag...

and you can get kits that will fit like LS integras and such.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Would a small turbo and methanol/ethanol make enough power? If it's an all out race car, why not.

Or you could do a 15:1+ compression NA motor using ethanol. I read somewhere that ethanol can sustain 19.5:1 compression. That could make the NA power you need.

·
Registered
10,000,001 Posts
I had a t-25 to start with, It had it's advantages with the short lag time, but its nothing like the pricey unit I have now. The small turbo's are fun because they are always making hisses, chopping, just all types of noise. Everybody around will know you have boost, but they fall flat on there face when pushed to there limits. I have a smaller t3/t4 .48 exhaust stage 3, and I hit full boost at 3000-3200rpm's and at 12psi I'm not even in the turbo's best range, that would start around (according to the compressor map) at 18psi. I think a gt25 would be a great place to start if you are determined to stay on the small side, 16g if money is a issue. Hang on, I have a older 16g with no shaft play! pm me if you want it

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
14b/16g That was my first turbo, it was very good for midrange power. It had no problem building full boost by 3000rpm. I usually ran it at 8-12psi on a stock b20a5. It had a nice powerband and was still pulling good past 6k. When you get closer to 7k you tell that the turbine housing is holding back a little, but thats where the sacrifice is. Spool on say a 35mph roll was almost instant.

I would choose a 14b/16g for a performance per dollar. Now if you have some cash to spend a nice DBB turbo would be nice for the little extra transient response...like a gt25 as stated above.

I wouldnt expect to make much more than 200-250hp with turbos these size, but the numbers are deceiving when you have a long flat torque curve.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i know the whole tires thing and i will have a lsd tranny. im think smaller turbo but i need power of a bigger turbo i guess it will be research time maybe a g25 or t3/t4 i dont know i need to research.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had a t-25 to start with, It had it's advantages with the short lag time, but its nothing like the pricey unit I have now. The small turbo's are fun because they are always making hisses, chopping, just all types of noise. Everybody around will know you have boost, but they fall flat on there face when pushed to there limits. I have a smaller t3/t4 .48 exhaust stage 3, and I hit full boost at 3000-3200rpm's and at 12psi I'm not even in the turbo's best range, that would start around (according to the compressor map) at 18psi. I think a gt25 would be a great place to start if you are determined to stay on the small side, 16g if money is a issue. Hang on, I have a older 16g with no shaft play! pm me if you want it
What you want for your 16G? liquid if I was you; listen to motoxxxman. he knows his stuff

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i know i wasnt planning on goin t3/t4 i knew it was to big. the reason i said it causei know a friend that has one he would sell me. but i will skip on it. thanks for the help everyong even more so moto for giving me a good list you will prolly be hearing more from me soon hahaha.

·
Registered
80 Posts
oh this poor site needs an edumacation session!!!

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2860RS_739548_1.htm

also, dont assume a t3/t4 is "bahhht way too big!!!!1". I put a stock t3 .48a/r std trim turbine on a t04b s trim i believe on an h22 and it was WAY too small. It spooled at like 1800 and completely ran out of steam at like 5500.

Your T3 can start commonly with an early saab 9000 for example. its a t3, .48a/r turbine, .42a/r compressor and i wanna say around 40 trim iirc. If you drive a saab, its a fast spooling turbo. Using it as a base for a 2.0l motor puts you close. There are standard T3 parts out there to put you close to 300hp, you just have to know what housings and wheels to go with. Never assume that a turbo is right for you right out of the box! There are all kinda things you can do to tweek them!

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
also, dont assume a t3/t4 is "bahhht way too big!!!!1". I put a stock t3 .48a/r std trim turbine on a t04b s trim i believe on an h22 and it was WAY too small. It spooled at like 1800 and completely ran out of steam at like 5500.
yes, that is still too big. because you used way too big of a compressor on way too small of a turbine.
that specific hybrid is just begging for compressor surge

the spool rpm and death rpm are strictly defined by the turbine side of it. the fact that you had such a monstrous compressor mounted to that turbine doesnt have anything to do with the spool rpm or death rpm, but it does make for one wickedly inefficient turbo that wouldnt run very well at all, wouldnt make that great of power at all compared to a properly sized turbo, and and wouldnt last very long at all before needing a rebuild

thats just another one of those things that fit perfectly into: "can it be done? yes. should it be done? no, not in a million years"

1 - 20 of 46 Posts