Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my starter went out yesterday... *still havent replaced it* but since it went out my car boggs down after its fully warmed up, i figured it might be my o2 sensor, replaced that, nothing, new plugs/ wires, dist cap looks new.... dist rotor is good.... WTF is it doing?

its really pissing me off

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
replace the starter of course lol. it might be causing a short, even when its not actually turning. mine did that once too. replaced the starter and everything was fine again. tested the starter and it had a mild short from the batter lead to the casing which was overloading the alternator and sucking all the juice. it couldnt rev high cuz it didnt have enough juice to provide enough spark, but had barely enough to spark at low rpm.

replace the starter and go from there, cuz you do know that its shot.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah was planning on replacing the starter today but since its easter autozone diddnt get their shipment in......

yeah it all started at the same time that my starter started screwing up

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
ever since m1k30rz discovered his problems resided in his pcv valve hes been telling everyone to check theirs no matter what their problem was lol. doubtful that a pcv valve could be doing this, as it usually only has a major affect at low rpms and very very little affect at high rpms.

you need a new starter. replace that first. then see if it still does it.
and how do you know your starter is shot? you sure your car doesnt just have a slow drain that kills your battery just enough to not turn the starter over?
have you tried jumping it and starting it the normal way while jumping it?
is the alternator working properly?
is the battery good?

those are all things to think about relating to this

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
iv got plenty of power when my cars running, i took it over to autozone they checked my alt and bat said they were both fine, my starter makes absolutley no noise when i turn the key so they said its dead.... while it was "dieing" it would turn over just fine afew times then not make a noise then turn over fine then nothing.... and now its nothing But nothing.... so they said its the starter, i wiggled all the wires around the starter to make sure they were good, from what i can tell they are, oh... and when im driving i decided to turn the key to see if it would make that bad grinding noise... yeah you know the one, anyways, still no noise at all

starters in, works good, now to see if it still boggs iv got to drive it for awile like this to get it to bogg

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
motoxxxman said:
ever since m1k30rz discovered his problems resided in his pcv valve hes been telling everyone to check theirs no matter what their problem was lol. doubtful that a pcv valve could be doing this, as it usually only has a major affect at low rpms and very very little affect at high rpms.
True but I mean hes got bogging down, PCV valve does cause that, and I mean how easy is it to check? Takes like 10 secs, so we should all get into the habbit of checking it, it saves alot of time and hassle if it IS the cause!! (sheesh I replaced all my sparkplugs/wires and everything *sigh*)

But yeah you are right :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
i might be the egr valve mine when it is wormed up and i am driving it bogges down a little and if i hit the gas for a little while it like hits a power band or something and it get alot of power but my car has always did that. a shop just said it was my egr

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had a shop chop a piece of my egr valve off and extend it with a rubber hose the other day since my header diddnt fit properly (about 2 weeks ago)

its been running fine since then .... could that still be it ?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Well I just took my car to the Stealership. I had other problems, but this was the major one. I'll be sure to post what they said about my car as soon as I hear from them, that is, if your's isn't fixed yet.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Alright, I took my car to the stealership and they were wanting to tear my whole engine down to find the oil leak b/c they said too much oil was in the rear side of the engine to find it, so I was like screw that. They said that the bogging could have been caused by a clogged egr, you might wanna check that, I'll check mine as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Update: My Hanes Manual says: " The most common driveability problem associated with a malfunction EGR system is an engine that runs rough at idle speed and smooches out when speed is increased. This problem is usually caused by an EGR valve stuck in the open position or a misrouted vacuum hose (allowing vacuum to the EGR vavle at idle). "

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ill check the egr tomorrow when i get home, car is still bogging and its really pissing me off

afew other problems have poped up too so this is not my month with the car

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.