Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people have told me to remove the weatherstrip on the fenders because it can cause rust, which makes sense cause dirt and water get trapped in there. Have anyone of you guys considered removing this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I removed mine. NY had a pretty good snow storm mixing with ice like a week or 2 ago, washed my car when the snow melted and I haven't had a problem with rust....And I've had them off since last winter........

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I took mine off. Took me ~1min, just pull them off.

·
Registered
641 Posts
1st thing i did when i got my lude. They kill Honda 1/4 panels.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
There are pros and cons to taking it off. That strip is there for one purpose. Any rocks or sand thrown by the tires can hit that strip of fender edge, knick the paint and cause rusting, the rubber strip prevents stone chips from knicking the fender edge. If you take yours off, be prepared to check it frequently and touch up paint any stone knicks.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
There are pros and cons to taking it off. That strip is there for one purpose. Any rocks or sand thrown by the tires can hit that strip of fender edge, knick the paint and cause rusting, the rubber strip prevents stone chips from knicking the fender edge. If you take yours off, be prepared to check it frequently and touch up paint any stone knicks.
Or you can leave it on and let the sand and water being held against the fender rust it out. I took mine off over a year ago and Ive never had a problem with rock chips or anything.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Or you can leave it on and let the sand and water being held against the fender rust it out. I took mine off over a year ago and Ive never had a problem with rock chips or anything.
I agree you are better off without the strips. But in areas of the country that get ice and snow...some states (like mine) love to spread sand on the highways in winter....sand at 80 mph chips paint in no time...in those cases you are better off leaving the weather strips on unless you plan to check your fender edges frequently for chips or rusting. I took my strips off this year....so 8 years of weather strip use and not any sign of rust under them. I'll probably have more problems now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
some 1 told me about this 6 months ago... my 1/4 panels were fine from the outside.. after i pulled the rubber off i discovered a little cancerous growth (rust) on the inner flange of the passenger wheel well.. got the dremel out and did some grinding to get all the rust away and put some xo rust preventer over top of the good metal. ill be checking this often to keep the disease in remission.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I agree you are better off without the strips. But in areas of the country that get ice and snow...some states (like mine) love to spread sand on the highways in winter....sand at 80 mph chips paint in no time...in those cases you are better off leaving the weather strips on unless you plan to check your fender edges frequently for chips or rusting. I took my strips off this year....so 8 years of weather strip use and not any sign of rust under them. I'll probably have more problems now.
When I first took them off I had to fix rust on 3 of the fenders lol. Ive had no problems since they've been off.:dontknow:

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,260 Posts
First thing i did when i got mine... the previous owner never took them off to wash behind them so now both lips are fucking smoked- cancerous rot that will need some extensive sandblasting and metal repair this spring. :banghead: That's the ONLY rotted part on the car- the rest of it is spotless. (And i'm a stickler when it comes to rot- i'm a body repair man by trade)

That should give you some insight.

·
Registered
476 Posts
weatherstripping on fenders??? do you guys mean the inner lining in the wheel well?

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
weatherstripping on fenders??? do you guys mean the inner lining in the wheel well?
The 1/2 inch wide rubber strip on both REAR fender edges as it comes stock.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

No, he's talking about the black rubber strips on the 1/4 panels (the wheel arch over the rear tires) #8 in the parts pic below. My rubber was deteriorating so I have bought new ones but haven't installed them yet.
74430-ST8-A00 PROTECTOR, RR. WHEEL ARCH $16.48

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
everyone tells me to take them off but im with jlude on this one i prefer to wash under them when possible and put them back on. its crazy the amount of salt, sand, and rocks they put down during the winter.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Hehehe, I like living in the South where we don't have to worry about salt :).
I miss my Houston Texas winters (lived there 8 years, Tomball area)

At least in Virginia they spread salt maybe 3 nights a year...the rest of the time it's cinders and sand (not much better I guess...chips paint).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts