Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I've replaced my catalytic converter which was clogged (I assume the issue I am having was a major factor in it, along with burning oil) & I replaced both the upstream & downstream oxygen sensors. I also replaced all of my fuel injectors & since I already knew I was running rich prior to installed a new catalytic converter, I was hoping that this would remedy the issue but it did not. This is what I'm currently facing.

During idle, the exhaust smells strongly of gas. Sometimes it will spit out small droplets of gas that is blackened during idle, mostly during warm up. As I'm driving, the gas still spews out because I have drops all over the back of my bumper & right tail light. If I rev my vehicle, most of the time a bunch of gas soot will come spewing out of the tailpipe. When I am on the freeway & the vehicle is under load (from a steep hill), the gas smell is so strong that it burns my eyes. Another thing to add is that my oil smells like gas.

I did a reading after replacing the cat & oxygen sensors & my downstream was reading 0.750-0.800 continually.

I am not a mechanic so I've just been going off researching other forums & trying to figure out things online but I can't seem to pinpoint where I should be looking at from here.

Could anyone help me out? More information can be provided!

Thanks

2001 Honda Prelude base model 2.2L (H22A4)

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,295 Posts
How many miles are on the car? Does the car have any sort of modifications? Is there a check engine light on?

5th Gen Preludes have always had a "thing" for the black soot on the rear bumper, even from the factory. The higher the miles, the worse it typically gets due to burning oil as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried testing the fuel pressure?
After seeing this, I decided to find my testing port so I could go rent a fuel pressure tester but I can't find the port anywhere. Do you know if there is a special fitting or is it in a spot I just can't see? There isn't one on the fuel rail & I can't see one near the fuel filter.

How many miles are on the car? Does the car have any sort of modifications? Is there a check engine light on?

5th Gen Preludes have always had a "thing" for the black soot on the rear bumper, even from the factory. The higher the miles, the worse it typically gets due to burning oil as well.

It's at about 204000 miles so it's definitely been loved for quite some time. There is no Check Engine Light for anything right now. There are no modifications on my prelude as far as I know. Other than an AEM short ram intake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts