Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I doubt I'm the only one with this problem, this black paint shows these swirl marks like its on a mission to piss me off...Anyway, has anyone any ideas on how to get these out?

-JB

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
have it detailed at a body shop or detailer shop. Either have it buffed and hopefully it will take them out, or have it wetsanded then buffed.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Get some Meguiars Scratch-X and either Gold Class or NXT wax.

I used that combo and when I passed my dad on the road he couldn't believe it was me the car was so shiny.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
take it to a body shop and get it sand it up, compound it and then tell them to get it polished
if u really want it really shiny tell them to put a clear coat on it but that alot of money

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BarboneRO said:
take it to a body shop and get it sand it up, compound it and then tell them to get it polished
if u really want it really shiny tell them to put a clear coat on it but that alot of money
There are a few dings and such and some keying by the drivers side door handle...i dont know if having that kinda of money put into a scratched paintjob would be totally worth it....unless they could touch up those spots...idk...ill look into it.

thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
citizeninsane said:
i would suggest colorsand and buff. it worked on mine real nice!:)
colorsand? explain please...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
the use of water approx 2000 grit sand paper, and go to town. it will eliminate all the minor imperfections and bring up the next clean layer. then finish it off with a good buff. plan to spend the day.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
citizeninsane said:
the use of water approx 2000 grit sand paper, and go to town. it will eliminate all the minor imperfections and bring up the next clean layer. then finish it off with a good buff. plan to spend the day.
Wont this take down the clear coat? Would I want to do that?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
99prelude said:
i had a guy come to my house and compound and wax my car didnt see a swirl when he was done.. he did it for $60
any idea what kind of compound he used? rubbing, polishing, or something else? Spesific brand? I really dont want to fu*k up my paint...kinda pricey to get it repainted I hear...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
turtle wax and compound. go to walmark and get them. its like $2 for that wax and compound. plus get the scratch out (yellow bottle with a red top cost $2) then waxxx and buff for an hour or two. done deal.
make sure you do this on a shaddyyy area.
and make sure you wash your car before doing any of this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the cause of swirlmarks is that there is to much wax or compoundthe best way is by hand(the hard and cheap way) or with a dual action buffer like the one u buy at wallmart (the easy and expensive way). oh by the way they do sell a3M swirlmark remover for dark colors

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
melloyellolude said:
the cause of swirlmarks is that there is to much wax or compoundthe best way is by hand(the hard and cheap way) or with a dual action buffer like the one u buy at wallmart (the easy and expensive way). oh by the way they do sell a3M swirlmark remover for dark colors
swirl marks are not from too much wax or compound or nobody would be getting their car waxed or detailed :roll:

its from a form of rough material or anything against it that causes it to swirl. For instance, take a nice black paint and take a rough towel over it(dont do this), wala... swirl marks. Wax included in any of that process? NO! Wax can help cover up small swirl marks, but key marks are impossible without a repaint. Don't use touch up because it will come off down the road, that is unless you dont care for a car show look.

As for buffing and polishing, let a pro handle it at a detailing shop. Meguiars compound and a rotary buffer will do the trick. I use meguiars dual action polish/cleaner for polishing stuff and sometimes buffing, either light or medium compound. Heavy is only to be used on decently thick waterspots. Diamond cut you shouldn't even try to mess with.

Buffing takes a thin, super thin layer of paint off each time you buff, but its so unnoticeable, that it would take around 30+ times to buff off the paint (thats an estimate). You will notice that it wont take out all swirl marks, but it will take out the oxidized paint and a few small swirls, and will also allow water to bead up on your car which is what you really want :emthup::D

As for fixing deep swirls, wetsanding is the only thing and again, since youre asking this question, take it to a bodyshop or detailing shop to have it done for you. Or you can go buy the materials and use my How to : claying and polishing article and i can help you with any bit that you may need.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Preludesi_2004 said:
swirl marks are not from too much wax or compound or nobody would be getting their car waxed or detailed :roll:

its from a form of rough material or anything against it that causes it to swirl. For instance, take a nice black paint and take a rough towel over it(dont do this), wala... swirl marks. Wax included in any of that process? NO! Wax can help cover up small swirl marks, but key marks are impossible without a repaint. Don't use touch up because it will come off down the road, that is unless you dont care for a car show look.

As for buffing and polishing, let a pro handle it at a detailing shop. Meguiars compound and a rotary buffer will do the trick. I use meguiars dual action polish/cleaner for polishing stuff and sometimes buffing, either light or medium compound. Heavy is only to be used on decently thick waterspots. Diamond cut you shouldn't even try to mess with.

Buffing takes a thin, super thin layer of paint off each time you buff, but its so unnoticeable, that it would take around 30+ times to buff off the paint (thats an estimate). You will notice that it wont take out all swirl marks, but it will take out the oxidized paint and a few small swirls, and will also allow water to bead up on your car which is what you really want :emthup::D

As for fixing deep swirls, wetsanding is the only thing and again, since youre asking this question, take it to a bodyshop or detailing shop to have it done for you. Or you can go buy the materials and use my How to : claying and polishing article and i can help you with any bit that you may need.

good info, thanks!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Swirl marks are caused by buffing the car and not holding the buffer flat. Sometimes people confuse the haziness and light scratches that occur on black paint from washing and drying with swirl marks. This is not the case. I have a NBP lude, and I know where you are coming from on this one. In fact, I just buffed my hood today. To get swirl marks and the hazy scratches out, you need to buff the car with a foam pad and a light compound or glaze. Keep the buffer at about 1800-2000 rpms. Hold the buffer as flat as possible. (some spots you have to angle it) Then check it in bright sunlight. Sunlight reveals all the swirls. Repeat as necessary until it looks perfect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is gonna be very hard to get out the swirl marks by hand. Do not use a rotary buffer. Only experienced professionals and guys who dont know what thier doing use those. there is a very specific method to those things so you dont fuck up. You need a strong polish, glaze, Sealent and a good wax. also a clay bar. If your swirl marks are really bad you will have to use a machine. A Porter Cable random orbital.Its not going to be cheap.
You need to find out why they go thier in the first place. most likely from dirty bath towels used to dry, and bad washing methods. Or even someone who didnt know what they were doing with a rotary buffer. read up on how to wash your car properly. Do more research or take it to a professional. Go to autopia.org and do research. Your best bet is to go to that board and post a picture of your car. Then ask for help. There are professional detailers on that board.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts