Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Im just wondering what is the best way to get rid of the metal virbrating. Even with one 10" Sub woofer, your boot always seems to rattle. :devil:

What are some of the ways people have dampened it or even stopped it?
(Pictures also helpful)

Some of my mates have used expandable foam in a car, which as worked quite well, but still insterested in other ways.

Thanks heaps

·
Registered
739 Posts
Expandable foam is good, and bad.. Its very sticky, and hard to get off stuff once its on there... So you gotta be very caful to get it ONLY where you need it, and no where else lol..

Theres many types of sound deadening. Most are expensive, but the expensive stuff like Dynomat sticks better..

What id recommend, for upside down surfaces, and verticle surfaces, use the expensive stuff.

Then for the floor, use Peel and Seal from Lowes hardware store, its in the roofing section in small 6"x25' rolls for $13 a roll. 2 is plenty to cover the entire trunk floor like mine, I used about 1 and 1/4 roll.

But the peel and seal is cheap, and dosen't stick well, so if you put it on verticle or upside down surfaces then it will fall off when it gets hot in the summer.

btw, sound deadening gets rid of A LOT of road noise.. If you did your whole car, including spraying the wheel wells and stuff, it would be very silent inside your car, would sound like your riding in a mercedes :emthup:

edit: also, sound deadening the way I did, is mainly to weigh panels down so they dont move as fast. Also shove foam/sound deadening/anything in between your license plate and bumper, or any where 2 panels meet.. When 2 metal things start hitting eachother at 50 times per second, it gets loud. Also I haven't personally looked into the prelude, but if you can, move the trunks latch down lower, so that the trunk closes tighter... That got rid of a lot of vibrations in previous installs i'v done

·
Quasi-AWOL
9,207 Posts
it's probably your rear license plate making all the racket...to test this, turn on your subwoofer, (boot closed), push on your plate and see if then noise ceases. if it does, use some weatherstripping on the back of the plate to keep it from rattling against the bumper

·
Registered
45 Posts
on the trunk lid you have those hollow parts use the foam to fill those in before you cover it in dynamat, it is just that little extra touch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts