Honda Prelude Forum banner

Best stand alone???

9K views 57 replies 16 participants last post by  motoxxxman 
#1 ·
Ok guys looking to buy a new stand alone system as my next mod.

What in your opinion is the best and easiest?

Please add experiences and knowledge based on facts and use.

Thanks guys

#2 ·
hondata s300, has the most options, a pretty easy software interface, only one cable for everything, built in datalogging memory, and is the most reliable and has the highest support.
for a high boost application, ecu controlled boost control is a good investment with it as well

#3 ·
cheap too right if im not mistaken its 600 bucks not a bad investment.

#5 ·
ectune is 100 dollars from a dealer :) and 200 for the version to tune yourself. about 400-500 fully loaded with all the tuning supplies.

ectune and neptune can do anything and everything s300 can do and at a cheaper price. But i do like the hondata program, i just dont like the owners.

#9 ·
What is the difference in options between eCtune and AEM? And which one is easier to use? I'm wondering because here in Bulgaria most of the people buy AEM if they want something good and CROME if they want something cheap :)

I hope this is in the topic. If not sorry.

#18 ·
Yeah in a feew weeks i might hit you up on that deal motoxxx thats not bad. What ecu would you give me tho???

#21 ·
for non-vtec i usually use p06, sometimes i use pr4 though.
for vtec i try to use genuine p28's, but cost is getting pretty high on those for one in mint condition that hasnt been hacked up by someone not knowing what they're doing, so i usually end up using a p06 that i convert to a p28.

#25 ·
the only ones listed that are full stand alones were the ones blake listed and aem ems. hondata, crome, ectune, neptune are all considered piggybacks

#30 ·
haha ok guys now i am a lil confused i somewhat understand the difference but i really just want the absolute most out of my car whether its a piggyback or stand alone thats why i came here lol

#32 ·
depends if the tuner is competent. someone who cant run a standalone will probably make more power with a piggy back (vafc, emanage...etc).

piggyback = AFC or anything which is wired into the engine harness to manipulate voltage and signal readings.

honda hacks = crome, ectune, hondata, neptune, uberdata, turboedit, etc

standalone is its OWN engine computer. No honda or oem computer is still in place with a standalone. Some are plug and play and others require complete system rewiring of the PGMFI management.

#36 · (Edited)
I havent read up on ectune but neptune cant datalog. Also its fairly new so that would mean not many tuners have used it and are confident enough to tune with it. You would think.

What about ectune blake, educate me on that?

#39 ·
Neptune can't datalog? Maybe you should do some research...and Neptune has been around since 2003. Not so new. Ectune came around in 2006 to selected users. Educate yourself. Ectune.com and hrtuning.com
Posted via Mobile

Maybe i will, ASS. lol

Ok so now it just boils down to, user friendly.

Sorry but i wouldnt cheap out on the tuning system regaurdless of what it compares to others. Thats just me. Hondata s300 has worked extremely well for others and has continued to work well.

#40 ·
User friendly? You don't even use it...you just have it. Until you have used them (meaning tuning) all then you have no clue. I have used s300, Neptune, crome, and ectune. And they are all user friendly other than crome being quirky. Ill be stepping into these standalones not too long from now. Local mr2 has autronic which ill be tuning after I read the 77 page manual and a aem prelude in california. In time Ill be running some kind of standalone on my and I'm sure ill be able to offer real opinions when that happens.
Posted via Mobile

#41 ·
ok price is not as much of as issue as quality. I am undecided to just do the s300 and get the ecu from motoxxx or just buy the aem stand alone

#42 ·
you need to contact your tuner. If he is compentent with AEM, then go that way. If he is more compentent with s300 then get an ecu through steve and run s300.

you need to talk to whoever is doing your tuning and ask them what they prefer. What they prefer is what they know best, and what they know best is what is going to run your engine the best. Buying the most expensive program on the market wont do shit when no one around you can make it perform to its ability.

#43 ·
that is true but is there difference between them say if my tuner could do both??? see this is the trouble im running into what will i see the best results with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.