Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, because of ongoing problems my dad and I have decided its best for me to get another car and retire the 3rd gen until I am better funded.

I need something between 500 and 800 dollars, and its got to be a Honda. My first thought was the 4th gen Accord(90-93) but they are a dime a dozen, Civic is out of the question. So I've been looking at thr 3rd gen Accord(86-89) LX-i or SE-i.

I know that I can turbo the A20Ax for cheap, just a mani, turbo, oil lines, fuel pump, fpr, and the AFC "hack". I've heard some of you guys talk about these cars or at least mention 3geez.com, so help me out.

3geez is a little hard to navigate on my hiptop, (which is my sole connection to the net) so what do you guys know about these cars? Good? Bad? Handling? Stock acceleration? Turbo options? Body options? Suspension upgrades, etc.

I know you guys will be helpful, thanks a mil, I hate to sit the lude down but I need something, and it got to be modable (don't mention civic), plus I've already sent Deviousone money for the focal 16s and I need something to put them on, lol.

Thanks

-Dex

·
Premium Member
17,737 Posts
For $500 - $800? That's going to be a POS, why not save up some money and get something that won't need $1k worth of repairs and will be somewhat reliable

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm saving, that's just how much ill have in the next 3-5 weeks, I'm sure my dad and aunt will front me some to add to it. I'm a DIYer, and I know a bit about older Hondas. Ill prolly end up spending 1200 or a lil more paying for the car, those are just "once in a while" deal prices. The 3g accords resale value can't be higher than the ludes, can it?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Going from a Prelude to an 89 Accord is going to suck balls. I did the opposite, and couldnt beleive how much better the lude was. And I had the se-i deluxe edition and it still sucked.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its gonna make it all the better when I finally drive the lude. I just wanna find one, lower it, turbo it, and save for a JDM B20a(for the lude not the accord).

I think a turbo would take some of the misery away from having an accord and ONE FREAKING CAM. I guess it will be the best non-lude-cheap-drive-for-now-fix-it-up-a-little option.

Some one here has to have owned one or had contact with one and can shed light.

Thanks

-Dex

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
If you're not funded well enough for the prelude, why are you thinking about turboing an accord? It's going to cost the same amount of money, and you'll have to buy the car itself. Plus, an $800 accord is going to have a bajillion miles on it, and is going to need a rebuild before you even think about boosting it.

If your current 3g is that bad off, just get another one, IMO.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It basically just needs an engine, but the mechanic is saying it wouldn't turn over without the key so it may be a wiring problem. I would like to get another lude but I don't have 2 months to save money, I need a car now. I've seen good condition ludes with average miles go on here for 1500, I should be able to get an accord for just under that if not a lot under.

I know about the price of turboing it, I should be able to for under a grand(I had the lude's kit planned for just over that, but I don't have to include an ecu, chipping supplies, laptop, or harness for the accord.) When I do the lude, I want it done right, and the accord will be my dd mule car, but faster.

P.S. Forget I said 800 dollars and mentioned turbo. Can someone just tell me about the freaking car? : ) thanks

-Dex

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
only experience i've had with the 3g accords is the 4-door LX automatic my friend had. 98hp, 2bbl carb, and a leak in the intake mani causing #3 cylinder to run lean. The car was a turd (seriously: brown ext, brown int), but it was a fucking soldier. Almost 300k miles on it. Went from Oceanside to Anaheim and back with four big dudes in it (we're all over 250lbs, i think Seth is close to 300). It struggled on hills a little, but maintained 80mph no problem.

If you want a reliable beater to get you around, those accords will to the job. For performance? I've seen some nuts shit on 3geez, turbos and whatnot, so I guess it's possible, but I'd save the gofast money for the prelude.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
The closest thing out there to a 3g prelude is a 90-93 integra, but even that isn't terribly close.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Tru, yeah, I'm def going to have to get a FI one, carbs aint gonna work. 120hp with130ftlbs in the 88-89 one I believe. I want both my cars to be nice, the accord will be pretty sleepy when its done. I just want to offset the fact that its an accord. 200 dollar mani, 100dollar junkyard turbo, 50-100 dollar intercooler from a diesel truck, Safc and misc for prolly 300 bucks or a lil more.

But anywho, so we have Honda reliability, I/H/E and we're at lude power, cheap to turbo, double wishbones, .3 something cd, light, sleeper potential.

Not to mention bob that they want to charge out the wazoo for teggys and civic, but I'd rather never drive either.

·
Preludepower Member
2,656 Posts
Nothing is like a 3g Prelude.
Not a Cb7 Accord, not a 3rd gen Accord, not a DA Integra.

save money up, return to the FORCE Luke...

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts
a crx isn't really a civic...
and honestly?
you're not going to find something that handles nearly as good as the lude.
and the crx is light.
any mods you make to it will shine far better than in a fat accord.

and there's a larger (aka. cheaper) aftermarket for the crx.

why go for something as obscure as a 3rd gen lude (with your accord idea) and then try to modify it for cheap?

sorry, but the crx wins hands down for a comparable honda replacement for the 3rd gen.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not abadoning the lude. I just know I'm gonna start itching after looking at that one cam gear after a while, but I can't scratch. I just need a temp solution and didn't want to stray to far from the Honda camp. I know the lude is superior in every way.

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Civic crx's cost a lot don't they(when compared to an accord)
I'm not looking for a direct replacement, the lude aint goin anywhere, just bein put on hold. And I need the extra space to carry crap.
I didn't say I wanted a popular car, I wouldn't have the lude if I did. I just want something cheap, and reliable. With the ability to upgrade. Picking up a catalog and ordering direct fit parts that require no mods to fit would feel all.........yucky. Makes it too mainstream for me.

I have a thing for un mainstream cars, Mkiii Supra, Vr-4, Z32 they are all cars I want and all are over shadowed by the Mk4. Like we are by the rsx, teggy, and civic. We know they are better, and the we work harder to prove it.
I'm an underdog for life, I like to suprise people. Thought the 3rd genners here would understand.

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
A stock CRX has ok handling.....

They have crap loads of body roll..... they do have potential though.

I've owned a couple CRX's I had one with a dual cam ZC swap and a mild build. I would eat B16's I even ate a 4 door DA with a Type R!!!!

The 3g or 4g accord are just boxy and crappy in handling.... for a stock setup... those are one of few hondas that are crap stock... they do have a bit of potential but then every car does... even a pinto.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I forgot to mention I'm looking for something my dad will help me pay for. He'll approve an accord, he'd never go for a crx, he knows me, ill have to money into it to quickly , but he doesn't know imports that well. I hope he never takes a look at 3geez cause then that'll be out.

I jus got off the fone with him, he mentioned that someone at work was selling a 89 towncar. It gets a whopping 18mpg according to the owner. Ill argue a smaller, sportier car like a honda of the same year can almost double that

1 - 20 of 55 Posts