Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Danny D's second in Command
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alirght, so my 1st, 3rd and 5th gear feel funny.
The gears go in but they feel as if theres play.

If i shift into 1,2, or 3rd while its in gear i can still move the shifter a bit more.
I been searching and i came to a conclusion that its my shifter cables.
I was looking at majestic and wow 245 for them.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...DR+TYPESH&catcgry4=KL5MT&catcgry5=SHIFT+LEVER

i just need others opinions to make sure this is the problem.
And i want to make sure that i was looking at the correct part that i need to buy.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.:emthup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, it probably isnt the cables, check and make sure none of the bushings or washers are missing and maybe one of the clips came loose.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,277 Posts
Try adjusting your shifter under the center consul before you order anything- it could need some adjustment. If that's not the case, then look elsewhere- it's pretty hard to bend shifter cables so only 1, 3, and 5th go funny. :huh2:

Honestly, it sounds more like synchros to me... 1, 2, 3, and 5th gear have synchros, 4th doesn't.

How have you been shifting your car? Do you powershift, force the transmission into gear a lot, short-shift, ect??

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
1, 3, and 5 selections are commonly squishy when you stretch the cables.
x's2 My cables snapped. A week before they snapped, they were just as you described in 1,3,5...

Extra movement towards the radio and all soft and mushy as they engaged... Till one day i was going into 3 and i stayed there... BAH

Here is where mine broke. The one piece slides into the other piece right there where that white plastic is at. I pulled it out and there was a piece of snapped cable all frayed.

Same kind of problem i described - SAME break point as mine. Better pictures -
http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281576&highlight=snapped+shifter+cable

·
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks man^^^

·
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
you have been power shifting havent you?

lol nah^^ i remember it happened to you a while back too lol.
Is there a big advantage to the 4thgen shifter plate+cables???
Is there any diffrence with swapping them over to an sh???

anyways.
I noticed there was slighht play when i first got the car but it was nothing too noticeable..

But after i changed the clutch+flywheel.. after 500+miles i decided to try her out and thats when it got worse.

THe gears go in fine, but it just feels really weird and odd. And if i shift fast then they wont go in.

Hopefully they last me a bit longer. Im not in any rush to work on my car with the weather being so cold.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Double post, but for good reason:
Just today when shifting, 2 and 4 seem really soft to get into... 1 and 3 go in the same with no issues. Any of you guys see the damage before it snapped? I dont want to be left stranded lol... I'll pull the center console tomorrow and see what its like.

Also who ever has replaced their cables, how did you route them? (Or rather, how are the routed?) I did a 5 speed swap, put em through the hole, towards the drivers side, and under the intake manifold, above the rear engine mount. Is this how it goes factory?

·
Registered
175 Posts
That is also where I routed my cables during the swap and I was also wondering if that was the correct location. 3rd feels "soft" to get into for me but am wondering if it could be just slop in the shifter itself.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Is it true that the cables can be adjusted? I'm no hard shifter but the softness has got me worried. Yet again, I bought used so I dont know what the previous owner treated the shifter like...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
if you have slop its because you've fucked one of the two cables. pick up some new cables used and you should be back to power shifting in no time.....hahah

·
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Double post, but for good reason:
Just today when shifting, 2 and 4 seem really soft to get into... 1 and 3 go in the same with no issues. Any of you guys see the damage before it snapped? I dont want to be left stranded lol... I'll pull the center console tomorrow and see what its like.

Also who ever has replaced their cables, how did you route them? (Or rather, how are the routed?) I did a 5 speed swap, put em through the hole, towards the drivers side, and under the intake manifold, above the rear engine mount. Is this how it goes factory?

x2 is there any visible damage bbefore it snaps?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
sounds like your having tranny issues had exact same problems in my civic

·
Registered
106 Posts
I didnt see anyone mention this to you bro but the cables from a 91 to 95 accord fit on our ludes. Go to your local junk yard and youll be pleasantly suprised that itll be easy to find one these year accords in there and will not cost you more than $50. SWEEET!! lol

Happened to me so I know that feeling.

·
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well good news, got those suckers changed yesterday, and now it feels awsome!! lol.

so anyone with the symptoms i mention should change their cables before they break!

thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
No the cables cannot be adjusted. Nor can the shifter be adjusted at the bottom like the teggy's, nor does it have bushings on the shifter like the teggy's. As for routing the cable, I think you guys have it right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts