Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I haven't been able to be on here for an eternity because i've been busy, but I have a question, hopefully one of you has dealt with this...

So just in the last few weeks or so, it's been colder than hell frozen over (ok that's dramatic) and snowy/rainy very often.. I'd noticed in the past (meaning Aug-Nov) that when I couldn't avoid a large puddle in the rain, or if the car had been sitting for an extended period of time during rain, on belts would squeal for about 5 secs or so. If I splashed through a puddle it was immediate, the water would burn off, and then it'd be fine. Same story If it rained overnight and I started it.

Fast forward to all this cold weather. Haven't heard my belts squealing, all is well. Car doesn't like the cold, usually revs to about 2k rpm's and relaxes as it warms up. I NEVER drive it until it hits 1500 rpm, and then I diligently shift at 2k rpms. In the last few weeks I've noticed a sound coming from the driver's side of the motor, which sounds unmistakably like a soft belt whine, pulley whine, something. It starts with startup, never changes speed or pitch, and continues while I drive it even after it hits temp. Its a very low pitch whine or squeal, but its not super apparent. You can hear it from in the cab though, windows up.

This morning I pulled the power steering belt, which I thought had a split but is actually just a seam.. the belts all look to be in great shape, none of the pulleys wiggle in the slightest, and I never noticed any of them wobbling when the car was running.

I called the dealer the car was serviced at before I bought it and was told that the timing belt was done at 99k miles (It has 121k miles now) BUT this was done in '07.

Does anyone have any idea on what it could be? Sorry for the novel I'm just trying to cover everything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had a similar issue with my 1989. Put new belts on, had alternator tested and it passed, then thought maybe it was a pulley. I had my mechanically inclined buddy check it out and he said it's gotta be your alternator. I didn't believe him but was stumped so I swapped the alternator and it was the problem! The main bearing had begun to squeal, and even a mechanic thought it was bearings on one of the cooling fans. Anyway, alternators are $200 ish, and I kept my old one because it's an original and I plan to replace the brushes someday and reinstall it. I guess original alternators are pretty rare these days.

Anyway, even if you load test / bench test and it passes, don't rule out the alternator like I did! Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thank you for the reply! Since my belts still look to be perfect, I'll try and clean them off, see if some dirt got on them or something, and then that might be my next bet. I'll try and add a video if cleaning the belts doesn't help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts