61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm pretty sure the B-series looks so much bigger than the B20A because the B20B has waayy more bore than we do, so the casting itself is just much larger. They can rev high because they get displacement from bore instead of stroke like we do (oversquare vs undersquare)

·
穏やかな旅行&#
4,713 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
Hmmm..... Don't know. When I bought a 18B from my importer he claimed there was more HP to it though... not sure. Still useless since it was stripped... I'm an idiot I know.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
To what B20lude said...I don't feel like quoting him...Yeah, a B18C sounds mean cause of the high revs but I like the sound of an H22, it's beefier. Yes, there is a difference between mean and beefier.

·
穏やかな旅行&#
4,713 Posts
That's honestly the most tempting thing to me about turbo'd subarus.... their exhausts sound SOOOOOOO good IMO.... well, all-wheel-drive doesn't hurt either (I live in Utah keep in mind) :lol:

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
^^Yup. Bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, bru bru bru bru bbbbbbruurrrraaaaaaaaaaa.

Back on topic. I am now seriously considering saving money for an ls/VTEC swap for the lude. It's cheaper and has more torque than a downright B18 VTEC right? Or is a lsVTEC the same thing (if you use a B18 head)? I'm sure with a B16 head, the compression will be a little higher.

I scrapped the CRVTEC idea when I read that they don't accept boost well.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yeah, if you look at the displacement numbers, an LS/VTEC will have more torque than a plain B18c because it has ever so slightly more cc's. But it'll be less reliable unless you do it right, because the B18A/B was never meant to scream like the B18C is. (bottom end, squirters, etc)

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
B18C1 (which is the GSR) has about the same fuel cut off as the H22... so how does that rev higher?

Now a B18Cr.... is a hole different story.

Back to the subaru thing.... the engine configuration and un equal length manifold give us that sound kalm... if I go to a equal length it'll sound like a honda

Sorry for the crappy sound... digital photo cam...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
So the question is then... how can we fit an unequal length manifold under our hoods :D

·
穏やかな旅行&#
4,713 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Well, I suppose the easiest way to get that trademark Subaru "running on three cylinders" sound is to just... run on three cylinders :D

I'm serious. Unplug one spark wire and hear for yourself.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts