Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was in a wreck the other week and decided to spend a little money and buy my totaled car back from the insurance company.. when the guy hit me (on the front right) i turned the key off and the motor kept running about 15 seconds.. now, it wont start.. it's getting fuel, it's getting spark the plugs are brand new and so is the cap and rotor in the distributor.. my dad said something about timing? could this be the reason for it not starting and not shutting off after the wreck? and if so, could a wreck even knock it out of timing? i believe i was in gear when i wrecked if that has anything to do with it.. also, is there any way i can check the timing on my own without a tool or machine or something? or possibly even fix it without going to a mechanic or something? thanks in advance to any help

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not like i asked what vtec is? they're legitimate questions for someone trying to learn things about cars man..

·
Registered
786 Posts
what does the motor do when you try to start it??

·
Dented
724 Posts
i turned the key off and the motor kept running about 15 seconds.. now, it wont start..
That seems like an ignition problem to me.. they can be funny things..

What kind of accident was this? how hard did you hit/get hit?

Did you try hitting the dash with your fist, Fonzie style? Stranger things have happened...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well thouroghly check your timing belt. Take the cover off and see if any teeth have been thrown. I don't think that's your problem though. Seems unlikley that the belt would be thrown but if you look that should answer your question about the timing. Again, unless your belt was thrown in the impact your timing shouldn't have changed.

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
judging by the nature of your questions you will at least need a friend who knows more about working on cars
not trying to be a dick but this guy is right. just find someone with a little bit more knowledge about engines. the whole timing thing is a very complicated subject.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not trying to be a dick but this guy is right. just find someone with a little bit more knowledge about engines. the whole timing thing is a very complicated subject.

right, didn't i post a thread on preludepower.com in the 4th gen section where some people can describe things a little further than my knowledge takes me?

alright the car just keeps turning over.. taking the plugs out, they spark.. there's fuel getting to the injectors and it's not leaking or spraying anywhere.. i really cant see the injectors not working

it was a 20mph front end impact on the passenger front corner.. needs a headlight, fender, battery, hood and radiator support.. so that's the extent of the crash..

also, the negative ground for the battery came disconnected and i havent put a new clamp on it yet but just laying the wire on metal it will turn over so i'm sure it's grounded good enough

idk i'm confused about it all

·
Dented
724 Posts
Try getting a clamp for the ground terminal tomorrow.. I've had bad terminals that will give enough juice to tell a starter to start, but not enough to make it actually spin the flywheel - it could be the same issue you're having. So far, that's the only idea I've got. It's usually something simple when it's things like this going wrong.. If you want, it's only a few bolts to check the timing belt.. if it looks tight to the cam gears, it shouldn't have skipped any gears.. and the two arrows on the cam gears should point up at the same time when you crank the crank bolt to top dead center (search for the timing belt write-up for more info on that) But that's only if the new connector for the battery terminal doesn't work.. I have a stupid feeling it might fix it.. but we can't be sure until we rule it out.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good deal man sounds good.. i'll get that connector tomorrow and if it doesn't work i'll look into the timing thing.. the only thing with the connector and everything is, the crank is turning.. you can hear the motor starting just like it always did.. it would turn over 3 or 4 times maybe and then it would fire right up and idle.. now it just keeps cranking over.. i can try to get a video up?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
good deal man sounds good.. i'll get that connector tomorrow and if it doesn't work i'll look into the timing thing.. the only thing with the connector and everything is, the crank is turning.. you can hear the motor starting just like it always did.. it would turn over 3 or 4 times maybe and then it would fire right up and idle.. now it just keeps cranking over.. i can try to get a video up?
Id replace the connector.. my corolla did this wouldnt start up unless jumped as soon as i changed the negative clamp it fired right up..

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good deal guys.. i figured i'd replace it first since it needs replaced and it'll be the cheapest way to to my next step.. i hope it works cuz damn do i miss vtec :( i'm driving a 94 toyota pickup lol and it doesnt do much justice for my need for jdm h22 vtec lol

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
battery ground didnt work.. you can tell the starter is turning the crank over because the power steering and alternator belts are turning but they seem like they're turning at a slower rate than normal.. i had the 2 day old battery on a 50 amp charger for 5 minutes and tried starting it while it was still connected and that didnt work.. now it's on to whatever's next i guess...

it has spark, it gets gas, the battery is grounded.. there's nothing else i can think of really.. should i go back to my original thought about timing?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the filter was smashed a little and i took it off.. there's a old cone i had laying around on and it and nothing wrong with the arm.. there's nowhere open this week probably but my buddy who is a certified mechanic has the tool to check the timing or whatever so i guess he's coming down to look at it this friday.. just hoping for good weather..

would you recommend a bpi flow stack or a velocity stack of some sort when i get it running again? it's something i've just started looking at recently and seems like a fair deal..

·
Dented
724 Posts
that won't help it run again. let your buddy look it over before you go buying performance parts for it.. Are there any other loose connections? Sensors unplugged, etc.?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts