81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Canards - because race car.

Reworking and refining

New Tablet for Tunerview (1st one was a little slow… Windows…):

Truck delivered stone chip ran on me, out with the windscreen. Yes, DIY created removal tools.

As seen in 2 Fast 2 Furious - Roman Pearce:

Glass out

Glass in

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Finally got the 3" mandrel exhaust done with help from a Lude brother.

Slight tweak of an ex-show car valve cover I picked up:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Long haul but slowly getting to the goal.

Innovative Traction Bar, Check.

Fitment

Some Mugen shocks and springs. Meant to be good for a slight drop…

Well at least my shoe fits snug… Might need to work towards coilovers…

Some general upkeep items:

New Catchcan

New rear rotors ended up being a disappointment. At least they are 114.3 lol.

Sigh, seems to be front rotors for a Non-vtec or maybe for an Integra.

Hinges developed some play, and apparently some rust. (not as bad as it looks, surface only!)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Powersteering pump leak finally solved. Picked up a low mileage pump and rebuild kit.

Wheel coat.

New boss kit, last one was a little too DIY lol.

New Blox stack, went up to 4inch stack. Also adjusted the intake connections to give 4inch staggered to 2.75inch at throttle.

Whey fed.

New dash because black just looks that much better. Also did some minor weight reduction where possible on it.

Thank you donor Lude, RIP.

Broken by someone who was after something behind dash but I wasn’t going to let that stop me.

That also made me less worried about taking out some meat. A fair bit lighter. Left out the center metal bracket also.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
This one you’ll either hate or love… Purists might not like it but this is what I always wanted to do with a Mugen wing, drag spec lol. (Note the test fitment was on my other more neglected Lude.)

Quick paint:

Bracket rework – aluminium plate

New tail light covers:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Now some more serious mods.

Ferrea S10070 Valve Springs (80LBS @ 33; 190LBS @ 23)

Ferrea E11000 Titanium retainers (7degree)

Ferrea K10034 Keepers (7 degree)

Ferrea SL1003 Seat locators

Supertech and Ferrea Valve Stem seals (long story lol).

Supertech valve guides (not used yet)

Jun Stage III Intake and Exhaust cam shafts.

New timing bits and OEM water pump.

New Crank Pulley (non-OEM but with harmonic balancer)

205 55 16 Vitour Tempesta Enzo Drifting Tyres

Yes it says Integra.lol

Been waiting to fit the Juns for 12 years! Yes they have been in a box for that long without action.

Here we go

DIY timing belt or negligent garage? Dropping the engine is kinda important… Finally binning this one.

Just got use to the Euro Cams… Never even got to a dyno with them… But my valve stems were leaking badly so these had to go.

Somewhat under covered for the H but I did the rope method for replacement of the valve springs. Logic is the rope is dropped in while at BDC and the piston then moved to TDC. The rope is meant to create a blanket to protect valve to piston contact. In my experience, one madly dodgy method lol. The rope would not actually cover all it needed to cover and would prove too soft. Refined the method to get something that works at the end. Used a Zenith Polypropylene Rope (4mm).

Ebay valve stem tool let me down. Plus I could not get the stems of no matter the effort placed into them…

Internet research, MR2 guys run into issues and use a chisel to get the stems off. That was the only way I got mine off. Likely baked on after 360k kms… Yes that means metal fragments, and delicate hammer action…

The money shot

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Finally understand the Covid toilet paper craze, great for cleaning up oil when rebuilding the engine during a lockdown… lol

After endless struggles with the valve spring compressor tool and the rope either not protecting the valve or the rope getting stuck behind the valve, or the rope literally tying a knot inside my cylinder (heart attack), I tested a heap of other ropes to find one winner. The winning rope was: Zenith Sash Cord No 6 (Polypropylene, solid braid)

Mistakes were made… Colour coding sometimes isn’t enough lol

Spot my error lol

Done bar a few, needed new valve stem seals…

New seals obtained. Also switched to a different valve tool. Hammer action worked much better than the spring compressor. Likely just because the rope is too soft to absorb the valve tension with the spring compressor.

Validating the rope, this one coiled up well in a bottle and had a good rigidity while also being soft.

Organised chaos

Done done

Stem death

360k kms and now retired

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Euro R vs Jun Stg III

Slight ware on the Euro’s but to be fair they were worn when I got them about 50k kms ago.

Torque wrench won that round.

Never felt worthy of a red cover but now I’ll make the exception. Not entirely black top any more lol.

Exhaust port cleanup. Burning oil means…

Had more soot on the ports with leaking stems, about twice as much soot!

New unit:

Ran the engine in and started up fine but then on first run after reaching operating temp it started with a loud internal metal on metal slapping sound… Feared the worst… Valve lash was set to Jun specs and checked like 8 times, including a 0.01mm larger feeler gauge to confirm the lash.

Cover off, all looked ok, keepers were still there…

Block teardown maybe…

Decided to work backwards. Stethoscope indicated the noise was coming from the head junction, so likely valves slapping. Could be work guides on the previously leaking stem valves. Removed all auxiliary units and just left the timing belt and balancer belt. Started her up and the noise was gone!!!

Refitted one by one and the noise has not come back. I presume that means there was maybe some rope or something that messed with valve seat. Or who knows… Run in complete. ~500kms. Saw Vtec a few times. Tune is ok, bumped fuel pressure and removed adjustments on Safc II. Retune soon, but also keen for some intake manifold porting before that.

Jun first impression. Beefy primary/secondary. Noticeable increase over Euro Rs. Vtec not that impressive so far but its running super rich and I haven’t gone over 5600rpm.

I guess the Jun Lemon Prelude would be the best point of comparison. The Lemon Prelude had 12.3:1 compression (I am still on 10.6:1), a big tube header (45mm primary, 50.8mm secondary, 60.5mm outlet), Euro R intake manifold, likely 2.5 inch exhaust, stock valves and uprated Jun head gear. If they had 269ps / 7650rpm and 27kgm / 5500rpm, I would hope to get to 249ps and 25kgm on the current setup. Likely only revving to 8k max given the well-aged bottom end.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts