Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure which section this is meant to go in, but i figured electrics goes here in a way....p'raps..

So, after the battery in my 89 3g died, i bought a new one, matching model numbers and such.
Now, since that car is buggered and going off to parts exchange for $150 cash, i figured i may aswell take all the valuable bits out of it, which ofcourse includes a year old $130 battery.

My new 91 4g has a battery that lasts 3mins with the headlights on (while i refuelled with 20bucks, the battery actually ran flat).

Now i'm good with electrics but it's always screwed me that there are 2 terminal sizes and 6 battery sizes but 680 different battery models... therefore my question is this:

Will my battery work well in the other car?
I'm not talking dimensions or terminal sizes coz i know they're different. I mean current/amp/power quality -wise. Does it actually make a difference which battery you use, or is it just to match physical size, terminal size and voltage?

·
Registered
286 Posts
first the 91 is still a 3g. depending on what the vehicle requires for the electrical draw on the battary you may need to upgrade later depending on the difference in 3g and 4g ludes. but if you are still in a 3g lude you should be fine. the 4g may have additional electronics in it that may require a slightly larger battary but all in all you should be ok with the switch.
Posted via Mobile
battary manufacturers use different components in their battaries that are more efficient,charge faster, last longer, etc. so if your talking about a general use starting battary, then no, who cares on the brand name. just buy a mid-priced battary from a reputible store with a warranty. now if your talking a battary for a car stereo then thats a different story all together. hopefully this answers your question. and did you get a 3g or 4g?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks papke.
It is indeed a 4g and yes its a 91. Strange as that seems. The model is a BA9 to be exact, and from all the resources i've read, i've NEVER EVER seen a BA9 mentioned anywhere. maybe it's just a rare tincan model that was trashed after 5 runs coz they realised how shit it really was xD
Well in regards to use, yes i will be putting sounds in, but i'm not going for competition or anything, so a simple 1000w sub with amp is all ill be running. I really just want to know that if i accidentally leave the boot open, and come back half an hour later, i'll still be able to start my car xD
I'm not worried about brands of batteries at this stage, but i bought mine from Marshall Batteries who are quite a reputable company over here. Came with 18months warranty which is almost up now. I definately wouldnt get one from somewhere like SuperCheapAuto who i guess would be a kind of cheapass WalMart for cars.

·
Registered
286 Posts
if your looking at running a stereo you may want to look into as many amp battary as you can fit or an extra sealed battary in the boot/trunk. i think thats right boot is trunk and bonnet is hood. but yes you should be able to leave the boot open for a little while without the battary dieing on you. how many amps is the battary you have now?
Posted via Mobile

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
You either forgot to look at where he is from or that jdm including australia an NZ and europe maybe too are a year ahead so a '91 is actually a 4th gen. Just look at his avatar pic its definitely a 4th gen. As far as your battery if it fits physically and you can hook up the wires physically you should be fine. I have myself left the stock sizes per car and have gone to hawker oddysey aftermarket batteries used by the U.S.A. military. I did however get my engine bay battery as a honda version or left hand positive just to make wiring things easier. However my trunk battery is the biggest they offered several years ago with full metal jacket or housing and standard s.a.e. terminals. Its the PCMJT1700 but I am also going to be rocking a a 170 amp max output alternator when the stock was 70 amp max.

first the 91 is still a 3g. depending on what the vehicle requires for the electrical draw on the battary you may need to upgrade later depending on the difference in 3g and 4g ludes. but if you are still in a 3g lude you should be fine. the 4g may have additional electronics in it that may require a slightly larger battary but all in all you should be ok with the switch.
Posted via Mobile
battary manufacturers use different components in their battaries that are more efficient,charge faster, last longer, etc. so if your talking about a general use starting battary, then no, who cares on the brand name. just buy a mid-priced battary from a reputible store with a warranty. now if your talking a battary for a car stereo then thats a different story all together. hopefully this answers your question. and did you get a 3g or 4g?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm sorry but i cant recall seeing an amp rating on any battery ive ever seen lol
youre right with the boot bonnet thing. i keep forgetting im posting mainly amongst yanks here :p

...right i started typing this about 3hours ago, then got distracted, started with the battery swap, spent feckin ages on getting new terminals on due to lack of tools but eventually made it. Hooked the new battery up....alarm went crazy, so i disconnected the siren temporarily and carried on. It must've been doing something else, coz when i tried the ignition, nothing happened and even the interior lights were barely going. I piggybacked the other battery on top and tried to start and something just snaps with a loud CLICK when i try the ignition. I'm presuming it may (and i highly doubt this tbh) have some kind of imobiliser on the alarm if the siren is disconnected. So thats the end of my work tonight and ill probly get an auto sparky out tomorrow so i can pay him lots of dosh to fix my fuck-up xD

@cudaboy,
<<= that isnt ACTUALLY my car, but it is the same colour lol i just dont have any pics of mine. I stole that pic from another post somewhere on here and just cropped it for my avatar. in fact ive been wondering what the hell that little round black thing is on the corner...maybe an aftermarket parking sensor or something... mine ain't got it anyway.
Strangely enough, ive seen both 3g and 4g 91 preludes here...i dont think NZ has ever imported jap cars from europe, so im stumped..
Oh and if i could afford a military-grade battery, i wouldn't be bothering installing a used battery not specifically suted for my car and asking if itd be all ok if i did it :p If only i'd kept my grimey hands off it, i wouldnt be stuck with a non-working car right now...
*horrible sounds of DIY tinkering in the background*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts