Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys, another problem with the banana is that if I leave the battery connected for 2 days it dies, my car is under construction so its not on the streets, i just start it every 3 or 4 days and heat it up. But twice already i forget to disconect the battery and few days later when I try to start it again its just dead!
Tha battery is brand new only 3 months and the alt... doesnt have a year yet.
Im planning to do the groun wire upgrade as mustardcat, right now it only has one ground wire on. Does that have anything to do with my problem?

Any sugestions? :Rock:

Yes , no , maybe??
BUMP!

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
Are you leaving anything on that could drain the battery? Thats all I can really think of... how could the alternator drain the battery? something has to be using the power !

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothing on man, not even keys in car, maybe a short somewhere?
all fuses are good. I just dont understand...

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
Even with keys out of the car some things can run, your lights for example... Your stereo also will use some power to keep its memory but this is a VERY small amount unless theres something wrong with it, try pulling the radio fuse and see if it still does it :]

I'd say probably a short somewhere or your radio is mucked up

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
i had the same problem mine was the fan switch tho...my fans woudl randomly turn on for like 3 hrs at a time...i know they turn on sometimes when u shuit the car off but my car would be off for like a week and all of the sudden it would rev the fans for hours at a time...so now i just made a switch for the fan in my 88 and in my 91 i got a new coolant temp sensor and a new fan switch from honda and my problems went away...check the car peridoicly and make sure the fans arent draining your battery...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
m1k30rz said:
Even with keys out of the car some things can run, your lights for example... Your stereo also will use some power to keep its memory but this is a VERY small amount unless theres something wrong with it, try pulling the radio fuse and see if it still does it :]

I'd say probably a short somewhere or your radio is mucked up
BUMP! has no radio at all lol

·
Registered
739 Posts
Have you ran the battery dead before?

I know its only 3 months old, but even a brand new battery, you run it dead say 3-4 times and its pretty much ruined..

Also what about your trunk light? I know on the lude I bought, the trunk light stayed on 24/7.. I just poped the bulb out since I didn't need it

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will check the trunk light,
No i havent run the battery dead because my lude is been sitting in my garage for over 4 months now.
Its just frustrating!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sounds like parasitic drain.

Try this. pop the hood, disconnect the negative terminal, attach the alligator clip end of a test light to the terminal, and then touch the test light to the negative batter post. does it light up? if it does, you have a draw on your power when the key is off. the light shouldnt light up.

if it does, start pulling fuses one by one until the light turns off. then you can narrow the draw down to a particular system. from there you can find the source of the problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Norwegian said:
Could be a bad battery
Im going to have to agree on this one. I was having the same problems when my battery died.

Your best bet before spending hours checking each fuse is to get your battery tested. It will tell you where you should be spending your time and money.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HondaPowa said:
Sounds like parasitic drain.

Try this. pop the hood, disconnect the negative terminal, attach the alligator clip end of a test light to the terminal, and then touch the test light to the negative batter post. does it light up? if it does, you have a draw on your power when the key is off. the light shouldnt light up.

if it does, start pulling fuses one by one until the light turns off. then you can narrow the draw down to a particular system. from there you can find the source of the problem.
Cool man, but... i guess I have to charge the batt. so I can do this test, true?
I cant do it with a dead batt.?

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you have a multimeter, you can unhook the + and - terminals and attach the two clips or leads from the multimeter to the terminals. After you hook them up, run a continuity test. If theres continuity between your + and -, you definitely have a short. Start pulling fuses until there's no continuity between the two terminals.

·
Registered
472 Posts
lude_rican said:
Cool man, but... i guess I have to charge the batt. so I can do this test, true?
I cant do it with a dead batt.?
Exactly. Charge the battery first & try the headlights to make sure its got juice b4 you do the testing.

good luck :smilejap:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Identical problem that i HAD. I also did a ground wire upgrade to 4 guage wiring and i thought that was the problem but that wasn't the problem. The problem with mine was that my alternator was so dirty that it barely charged the battery. Every day the battery just had enough juice to start it but if i didn't start it every day the battery would die out because it was fully charged. Also, the little plug that plugs into the alternator (on my car) isn't quite snug so my battery light always flickers on and off. Check your alternator and test it to see how much its puttin out. If your battery is puttin out more than 12 then its good.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really didnt understand sgtd, but anyways... tomorrow Ill take the batt. to charge and on wed... Ill do the test, Ill keep you posted, thanks guys.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
tell ya an even easier way
if you have a multi meter, get a 1 ohm resistor from radio shack (a pretty high wattage one...so you dont ruin it in like 3 seconds) and connect some test leads to it.
connect the 1 ohm resistor between the battery neg post and the ground wire.
now, set your DMM to mV (or leave it on auto if you like...) and measure the voltage across the resistor.
now, all you do is convert your voltage reading to amperage...which is simple because it takes 1 V to push 1 A through 1 Ohm...
if you have 10 mV across that resistor, you have a 10 mA draw on the battery.
you should see less than 50mV when you check voltage across that resistor...if you have more than 50mV (remeber...convert to mA), with the meter connected, start removing fuses one by one (and replacing them after you pull them of course :razz: ) once your parasitic load goes away, you found your short (or at least what circuit it is in) now start diag on that circuit :emthup:

also...doin it this way, you dont risk blowing the fuse in the meter

EDIT:just reread some of the posts and noticed that no on mentioned reading the amperage draw by connecting the meter in series...*shrug*

I would personally not recommend connecting the meter between the battery cables to measure resistance (continuity). resistance tests are inaccurate at best...and you can damage computers by measuring resistance.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
You do not need a battery in to see if you have a short. The continuity test everyone said will work...Just unplug to Pos. and Neg cables and do a test between them. As for the Battery...get it tested.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts