Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, when I bought the white lude it had an overheating problem, the guys mechanic said that cylinder number 3 kept filling up with coolant which indicated a bad headgasket. So I figured it would be an easy fix...it is, but I am just showing you guys what it could look like...And it wasn't JUST cylinder number 3...it was number 2 also, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the headgasket. :jehon:

It also seemed that this engine was running rich as hell, because there is ALOT of carbon buildup on the piston heads and valves...






 

·
iHeart iVTEC
Joined
·
3,933 Posts
hehe, my corolla looked like that...but your headgasket looks descent compared to the one we took out of my corolla...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little history on the engine. It was atucally a swap because the original motor died or something, so a JDM B20 was put into it....and this is what came of it....not too long after being swapped that is...the engine ran great too...just liked to eat coolant.

Gives you a good idea on what you wanna replace if you are gonna swap in a b20.
 

·
no mo mod
Joined
·
13,011 Posts
you shouldnt have to replace the head gasket when you do the swap...most of these companies that sell engines offer a 30 day start up warranty. if you open it up like that, they dont warranty shit.
But... it would be quite a bit easier to replace the head gasket with the engine out of the car.

This is for sure a B20 block AND head?
measure the bore diameters on the gasket. My buddy bought a lude that "had a blown head gasket..." they said they had just replaced it but it blew again...
we get it open and they had a b21 head gasket on a b20 (yes, both head and block were b20 and the gasket had 83mm diameter holes)
oh, they had also reused the original head bolts. I would replace them if I were you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tsiah said:
you shouldnt have to replace the head gasket when you do the swap...most of these companies that sell engines offer a 30 day start up warranty. if you open it up like that, they dont warranty shit.
But... it would be quite a bit easier to replace the head gasket with the engine out of the car.

This is for sure a B20 block AND head?
measure the bore diameters on the gasket. My buddy bought a lude that "had a blown head gasket..." they said they had just replaced it but it blew again...
we get it open and they had a b21 head gasket on a b20 (yes, both head and block were b20 and the gasket had 83mm diameter holes)
oh, they had also reused the original head bolts. I would replace them if I were you
No doubt..the headbolts WILL get replaced. I am replacing damn near everything....LOL

This engine is a crate motor...JDM b20 style. cruzin89lude knows the details...it's his car...ROFL. But he did get the swap done, and nothing was touched on the engine, although the timing belt looks brand new. I trust his info...

And the gasket is that of a b20...81mm on the dot!
 

·
no mo mod
Joined
·
13,011 Posts
alright...
you're rebuilding this engine? standing water = rusted everything + coolant in oil + (probably) collapsed piston rings = engine is basically toast
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tsiah said:
alright...
you're rebuilding this engine? standing water = rusted everything + coolant in oil + (probably) collapsed piston rings = engine is basically toast
No...just replacing the headgasket.

There is no coolant in the oil at all. There is no rust anywhere. I cleaned out all the coolant that was in the cylinders. So it looks practically brand new now. Compression test came back good before I took it off except for cylinder #3 which was very low due to the bad headgasket.

I will find out if the head is warped when I take it to the shop to get that bolt I broke out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,518 Posts
Get new head bolts...that'll run you about 120$ unless you know somewhere else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,750 Posts
Not had time to read through all of this but that headgasket is definitely fucked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
are you crazy? that head gasket is fucked. there is noting "ok" about that. did you look to see if the block had a crack in it? go get the head plained and put a new gasket in it and keep an eye on cylinder 3 and the coolant level. if you see any oil in the coolant its time for a new engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
playboyesq said:
are you crazy? that head gasket is fucked. there is noting "ok" about that. did you look to see if the block had a crack in it? go get the head plained and put a new gasket in it and keep an eye on cylinder 3 and the coolant level. if you see any oil in the coolant its time for a new engine.
It didn't look as bad as some of the ones I have seen. The block does not have a crack in it.

I am going to have the head cleaned and thoroghly inspected...I was thinking about putting a slightly thicker headgasket on.
 

·
New title is new
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
Thats a fel-pro headgasket, i recognize it!

It's also quite blown, obviously.

Odds are the block is just fine.
The head should be cleaned, pressure checked, and surfaced slightly.

Use a standard head gasket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,750 Posts
Agreed :emthup:

No reason for anything other than stock thickness headgasket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,750 Posts
Bigashota247 said:
Damn and I htought my engine was in bad shape. I didnt no that the head bolts should be replaced. Ooops. I didnt do that.
Teh head bolts don't need changing unless they have been re-used a few times oir are clearly worn.
they are not stretch bolts so they don't need to be changed for that reason.
 

·
New title is new
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
It's true, if the bolts aren't damaged they don't need replacing.
Every once in a while they'll stretch and need replacing, but it's quite rare.

Some engines use torque to yield bolts that should be replaced every time they are removed (should be, you can still reuse them sometimes).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,661 Posts
Don't know for sure, but it looks to me like someone tried to re-use an old headgasket.

The orange silicone sealer looks like it was applied by hand. The Honda gasket has no silicone sealer applied in those areas. What do you guys think ?

In all the Prelude manuals I have, replacing the head bolts is never mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
the silicone is a dead give away that its been touched before. I personally would put new head studs in because it is common practice for me when i do head gaskets. It doesnt matter what car it is to me. its better to play is safe then sorry.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top