Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 196 miles and it was 12.7 gallons to fill it up. So approx 15.4mpg. It has never been this low, usually it's like 20 or 19 mpg. I only drive local, and rarely hit vtec, maybe only once a month. It's a 1998 base lude.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Let us know what you've checked already, if you have.

So many issues can be the cause of poor mpg.

In terms of issues particularly more common on the prelude that I know of, check your:
  • timing belt tensioner
  • distributor
  • O2 sensor
Also, is the car burning oil? (lol duh) How much?
Valves adjusted?

Common causes:
- air filter needs changing
  • spark plugs need changing
  • fuel system needs cleaning? (you've been using premium fuel as the engine requires, yes?)
- low tire pressure
- coolant system thermostat needs changing

Start with the simple/cheap fixes first, and move up towards things that need changing as part of maintenance anyways. Start with the colored items.

Lastly, this is just me ole opinion based on some light experience and research, apologies if none of this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

In terms of issues particularly more common on the prelude that I know of, check your:
  • timing belt tensioner
  • distributor
  • O2 sensor
Valves adjusted?

Common causes:

• fuel system needs cleaning? (you've been using premium fuel as the engine requires, yes?)
- low tire pressure

Start with the simple/cheap fixes first, and move up towards things that need changing as part of maintenance anyways. Start with the colored items.

Lastly, this is just me ole opinion based on some light experience and research, apologies if none of this helps
[/QUOTE

• timing belt tensioner
  • distributor
  • O2 sensor
Valves adjusted?

Common causes:

- low tire pressure

This is the first I noticed, I haven't had a chance to check many of these potential issues. The spark plugs are only a few months old, I have not checked the thermostat, but the radiator was replaced this month. The car did have to be rebuilt and the valves needed to be cleaned, because of low compression. That was done several months ago. I have been using premium. This was the first time I filled my car after the radiator was changed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts