Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY MY how things have changed, after pokiNo a round little bit I see things are far different then when I first started back in the mid nineties. I found a deal on a 98 prelude that I couldn't pass up, the duDE at the local mechanic shop was asking 650 For it. gave him a few hundred down to hold it for me, i would pick it up on Friday. came back to collect my new toy and wouldn't you know someone had stole the ECU. so him knowing what he knows about the situation decided 450 would be a fair price,Sold.
it feels like building my first Honda, now the fun begins.
from what I have researched, looks like I'm in need of a p28 ECU?

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome to the Forums!!! Nice pickup. Great price too!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She lives again, after picking up A P13 ecu Locally And ordering a conversion harness from Amazon I got hEr running. doesn't sound very good, made a video don't know if you'll be able to help any. but I can't tell if its the throwout bearing, rod knock, or the valves. when I engage the clutch, I can feel the vibration and the noise gets quieter.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
No matter what's knocking, don't answer it.
Welcome to the forums

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Sounds like a spun bearing to me, if it gets better with the clutch engaged, I am going to say main more likely than rod.

The car was cheap enough, go get a JDM longblock, and swap all the relevant parts over to get it safely running.

Looks like a ton of work is needed on the body, and with a bad engine you pretty much bought a titled shell and transmission. That said, for a clean title 5th gen, I would probably be willing to part with what you paid for it, and spend a bit to make it decent again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate your reply, I was thinking of going with a blue top my only question is will Thetransmission that I have boLt right up? After doing some searching it seems as if it will. as I'm in the planning stages of this build, I'm searching for sources? I've looked on ebay and searched on the web but it has been years since I've bought anything Honda related. Paying the price and pros and cons of either rebuilding the motor thats in the vehicle, or replacing it with the blue top. it seems to me replacing the motor it's going to be more cost effective in the long run. just looking for somewhere to order the motor from?
as for the condition of the vehicle, I bought it as a project knowing that it was going to take some elbow grease to restore her back to her former glory, well that's half the fun if I can remember right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts