Honda Prelude Forum banner

261 - 280 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
So it's been too long since I posted on here, but that doesn't mean I haven't been playing with it!

In fact I've been working to develop it and offer a couple of new things for the prelude (you may remember my ceramic wheel bearings thread). I've been testing them out and they far exceed my expectations, especially in the handling department.

I'm also working on a bit of an aero package. I'll post up pics of the progress a little later.

But I still take it out to the track.

And I even finally got my car dyno'd. This is just a little port matching, headers and exhaust, and cam gears set to +4/-4. Pretty good I think. Always room for some tuning.

What intake manifold are you using?

The graph looks a little fuzzy like maybe a cylinder has a slight miss? Just wondering if the cam gear settings can affect the CYL sensor or distributor enough to cause detonation, maybe.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
It's the stock B20A5 intake manifold.

Everything should be running in tip-top shape, they just didn't turn on any smoothing.

That said, me and a friend went back and dyno'd each of our cars again, and they totally screwed some stuff up, which makes me question the whole thing. I think I need to try another place.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #264 (Edited)
It is not.

You know, I forgot about the secondaries. I was just thinking I was choking the runners out naturally.

I'll have to check on those.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #265 (Edited)
Since it's really a part of this car's history, I'm going to document this here.

You may have seen my "donate to put a 3g at Global Time Attack" thread in the 3g forum. I've been pursuing getting licensed to do the SCCA Hill Climbs for about a year or two now, but I stumbled across

and thought it seemed like a fun, different way to approach TT. Not to mention I've been knee deep in the rules heavy structure of the SCCA for about 15 years now, so something a little more free form seemed like it's be a nice change of pace.

The problem? It's expensive. The entry fee alone is $500. Along with tires, brakes, fluids, food, gas, and other miscellaneous car prep it's going to be an expensive weekend.

That's where Prelude Power comes in. Since this event does have some visibility to it, I'd like to go to represent the 3g Prelude chassis. To show that our cars can come out there and kick it with the more popular stuff, I've asked for donations to help get out there.

The target is $1000. That represents the entry fee ($500) and most of the cost of a set of tires for the event.

I halfway expected to get yelled off the forum for it, but to my surprise, folks are pretty on board with it! We've already raised a pretty healthy chunk of change. To keep it as legit as possible, I'm not touching the money until the goal is reached. That way it can all be sent back if it doesn't happen no problem.

So let's get to the fun stuff:

First, the rules. You can read them here.

I'll be participating in the 'street' class. This is pretty close to what my car is already prepped for. I could go for the 'limited' class, but that seems to attract some pretty wild hardware, and that's not really what my car is.

The big change that I need to make is tires. Currently I'm on a set of R-comps. I need to go back to a set of street tires. I was considering making this move anyways, so this seems like as good a time to make it as any.

Other stuff that's needed:
-Brakes: I have a good set of dual purpose pads, but I think I'll need at least another set of them.
-Fire Extinguisher: the rules require an on board fire extinguisher. A fire suppression system is better, I'll see what I can get to be safe.
-Catalytic Converter: the rules require street cars to have a cat. I currently don't. I need to do a little repair on my exhaust anyways, so I'll add that in there and clean it all up.
-Fix the intake bypass valve issue mentioned a couple posts above.

Stuff that isn't needed, but I hope to make happen:
-Aero: I've been working on fender flares for a bit now. I'm going to finish those up and hopefully get a splitter on the car as well.
-Shocks: I need to revalve the shocks, and have for a while. The car still handles great, but these will really make it shine!

That's the summary for now! I'll update as we go along.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Interested to see what tires you end up going with. So many options come in at 200 treadwear, but they're all excluded by the spec of 220.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
rules say for street your good down to 140 utqg.

this was in street class

"1. Cars must use DOT-approved treaded tires with a minimum UTQG-rating of 140 or higher. Equivalent tires from other markets (such as EU and Japan) are permitted if there is official documentation validating claims. - See more at: http://www.globaltimeattack.com/2014-rules/#sthash.KsxgjWnN.dpuf"

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks like a quick car! Going to try and auto-x mine a bit this year

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Whoops, I was looking at the Enthusiast section...

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Tires are fun!

So as someone noted, since I'll be doing the street class, the minimum tread wear rating is 140.

I've spent a fair bit of time in that arena back when I was doing ST class in autocrossing (ST has a 140 tread wear limit), and I've kept up with the tire news in that category as well. So I should be able to make a pretty informed decision regarding tire choice.

There's really only a few top tires in the 140 tread wear category. I have experience with a number of them as well.

BFGoodrich g-Force Rival:

This is the new one on the block. It's supposedly the new 'tire to have', and holds up to heat very well. One of their big selling points is that it's not a peaky tire. That is, it generates maximum grip over a relatively wide range of slip angle. Generally speaking, that's good. This is a top contender, and they have it in my selected size: 225/45/15.

Toyo Proxes R1R:

This one has been around for quite a while. This tire is interesting because apparently the 195/50/15 version comes with a different tread compound and is widely regarded as 'magical'. I believe I've heard rumors that this is no longer true, however.

Regardless, I've driven a fair bit on this tire and hate it no matter what size it's in. Although the tread is sticky, between a relatively soft sidewall and the high void-ratio tread it's a sloppy, sloppy tire. You need a super, super light car (think EF Civic or Elise) for the tire to work. Although it comes in my selected size, this one is more or less out.

Hankook Ventus R-S3

This one has also been around for a little while. I had these on my orange wheels. These are a great tire, and I love them. They also hold up to head very, very well.

However, they seem to be on back order in my selected size. We have a little while before I need to plunk down on some tires, but you gotta watch out. These are probably my preferred tires

All the different tires are more or less in the same price range. There are other tires out there with similar specs, but these three have consistently been tested and vetted at the top of the pack.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have heard really good things about the Rivals

Would love to pick up a set, but $$$$

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
R1R overheat too quickly IMO. They tend to work better on much lighter cars.

RS3 is probably the best choice up there for the price. The Rival would be my other pick. Not a huge fan of Star Specs, but the RE11A is another great tire to consider

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
I know the Star Specs are up there, but they seem to be made for heavier cars. I've heard mixed reviews on the RE11A's. I think the other tires mentioned here are actually a touch faster than them, and I've heard (and actually seen) very bad things about the longevity of the tires.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Well, it's hardly a feature article, but I still thought this was pretty cool. I had the magazine for a while before I noticed it. I was just flipping through one day and all of the sudden was like 'whoa!'

That was at a Road Atlanta event back in early November.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I am a little late here, but, Toyo is a great tire, and I hear good things about BF Goodrich.

*edit*
I have Toyo on my lude but they are huge 17".

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
It's been too long since I've updated here!

I should really add this link to the GTA event here.

GTA

There was another GTA at Road Atlanta earlier this month that I wanted to go to but it just didn't work out. I think I'll hit them up again next year though!

I haven't done a whole lot of racing this year, mostly since I have two very young daughters. I will be hitting up a couple of events before the year closes out, though. I'm going to an autocross with my brother (he'll be driving the lude) this weekend and then I'm going to try to hit up the last PDX of the year in October. I should be able to get a final sign-off that I need and then next year I'll start prepping the car and finally getting licensed for hill-climbs.

I'm working on adding a bit more muffler to the car so it passes the sound requirements I have for some events. Nothing fancy, just something to make the car quieter. I have a huge (36") magnaflow glass pack and it worked great for a while, but the car has slowly gotten louder. I'm finally putting in a chambered muffler. I'll take pictures when it's done.

I ended up going with the Rivals for my tires. They really are great tires! They're interesting to learn, though, because they feel like any other tire up to the limit. You think that's it, and you're going pretty fast, but they aren't particularly special. Until you push it past that limit, and then find there's this whole new plateau of grip that you can use out past the limit. It's thrilling. And fast!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
It's been quite a while since I weighed it, but last time I checked it was right at 2500 lbs. It's probably still right about that weight.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
At some point my car is supposedly going to be featured in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine. I don't know when, my guess is it won't be for a little while yet as an old Prelude might be pretty bottom of the barrel when it comes to articles, but I'm excited. I'll be sure to let you all know when it hits. :)

261 - 280 of 304 Posts