Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is about getting info on people still with the B21A1.

I still have the B21A1 and I have about 82 000 miles on my prelude. I burn about half a quart to 1 q every 3000 miles.

My B21 Turns the oil a sickly brown colour within 1500 miles after a fresh oil change, and the inside of the valve cover is a really gross brown-red colour. Is this normal?

And for those who used to have the B21, how long before yours threw rod no. 3 lol? :sleepy:

·
Registered
471 Posts
My b21 has about 140k or so on it. I burn about a 1/2 quart every 1000 miles. The oil does that same color change thing on mine, luckily I work at an oil change place so I can change my oil every 1000 miles!!! :shock:

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
i had my b21 all the way up to 250,000 miles. near the end of its life, it burned/leaked nearly a quart of oil per day! the smoke cloud behind the car after i took off from a stop sign or something was so thick that i got pulled over a couple times. god bless the b21!

POS...

·
Registered
542 Posts
B21 here also. 165000 mi. I replaced the rings about 20000 mi ago. No burning oil any more. Unfortunately it's developed an oil leak somewhere behind the engine. I can never win with this car :cry:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I got a b21, I just hit 78k miles just a few minutes ago, sad isnt it :cry: . Well it does burn some, dunno exactly, just throw some in everytime I check it.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I have 180,000kms on my red car.....so about 110miles and I burn a bit less than a quart per tank (350kms, about 220 miles).
Havnt changed the oil in 5000kms (3100miles).

The white one I have no idea how much oil it burns, but I do know it burns oil. Regardless, it's engine is in better shape that my red car's B21, and it can't possibly burn much more oil, so I'm gonna go from a oil burner B21 to another B21 oil burner. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I got a B21a1 with 140K miles on it. It burn about 3/4 of a quart every 3000 miles. It also makes the oil turn the same color. It's still a beast. :)

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
88hondapreludesi said:
alright all you B21 haters you ready? B21A1 with 170k burns.... NO OIL!!!!!! none at all zip zero zilch. maybe its just happy about bein in my 88 and not a 90-91 :p
no, it's just happy that it's owners have been nice to it and maintained it the way it should. My neighbor has a b21a1 in this 1990 Si with over 400,000 miles on it and it doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil. He bought the car brand new and has maintained it perfectly. He hasn't ever taken the engine to redline and he drives the speed limit everywhere.

the b21 is recognized BY HONDA as one of their worst engines ever. It was a work in progress. It had a lot of new/experimental materials and engineering that had to be tested in the real world. If people drive the b21 like a sports car, it's going to burn oil in its old age. Simple as that. If you drive the prelude like a sports car, the b21 will break down and smoke a lot sooner than most other honda engines. If you baby it and change the oil like you should, it will run forever -- just like any mechanical system.

we're not b21 "haters." We're realists.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mouchyn, you being right all the time gets old. i mean, it's great having you as a source of accurate information, it's just one of those where a change of pace would be nice, you know? Maybe just play stupid once, for us? :p

Anyway, B21 here too. 194K, burns about a quart every 1000 miles. Doesn't show up in the exhaust though. It's been through at least 4 owners, and I really have no idea how well it's been taken care of. I've also got a small leak at the front seal that i've gotta look at. I noticed it changing my O2 sensor.. a nice coating of oil over the whole oil pan, and, afterwards, my arm.

-J

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Crucified Ego said:
Mouchyn, you being right all the time gets old. i mean, it's great having you as a source of accurate information, it's just one of those where a change of pace would be nice, you know? Maybe just play stupid once, for us? :p

Anyway, B21 here too. 194K, burns about a quart every 1000 miles. Doesn't show up in the exhaust though. It's been through at least 4 owners, and I really have no idea how well it's been taken care of. I've also got a small leak at the front seal that i've gotta look at. I noticed it changing my O2 sensor.. a nice coating of oil over the whole oil pan, and, afterwards, my arm.

-J
for some reason, i've found that b21s chew up oil pan gaskets more than b20s... i might be totally making that up, but every b21 i've worked on had a leaky oil pan gasket. Even new ones start leaking after a couple months. Maybe i just have bad luck

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
164,300 miles, burns Zero oil. I'm due an oil change in the next 600 miles and haven't needed to put any oil in it whatsoever. I check it regularly from all the horror stories but it never needs any.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
B21A1 here baby... 275K original miles...

but, yes... she does burn oil. bad rings I am assuming, about a qt every 2 weeks, I drive 50 miles/day back and forth to work so qt every 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I had a b21a1 with 126k and I know it burnt oil but don't know how much, the dipstick was orangish brown also. It was an automatic.

I also have a b21a1 with 178k and it burns oil, again, don't know how much but seems pretty bad, at times I have seen oil shoot out of the exhaust. However, the car still feels strong.

·
Administrator
17,736 Posts
mouchyn said:
for some reason, i've found that b21s chew up oil pan gaskets more than b20s... i might be totally making that up, but every b21 i've worked on had a leaky oil pan gasket. Even new ones start leaking after a couple months. Maybe i just have bad luck
Mine has a leaky oil pan gasket, its annoying. I dont know if its burning the oil or if its just leaking out the pan. how hard is it to change the gasket?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
On the two b21a1's I've owned and even the A20a1 accord... they all had leaking crank oil seals... it made them look like the oil pan was leaking, make sure, you may be changing the pan gasket for no reason.

It's easy to find out (as long as the leak is bad) take a drive, then with the car running, look under the car, then look again when car is cool... if it's only leaking when the car is running it's probably your oil seal.

It will be dripping from the oil pan under the crank pulley.

·
Administrator
17,736 Posts
hondalude89 said:
Rebuilt B21 with about 20k-32k miles. No oil burning here. It's well maintained since I swapped it. Me likes B21! :emthup:
What exactly did you get done in the rebuild to make it not burn any oil?

1 - 20 of 234 Posts