Honda Prelude Forum banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
You'd have to cut a hole in the hood for the valve cover.

I dunno if that b20b leans back at all, or if they mounted it lower to clear the hood or what...

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Because nobody who asks that sort of question has access to, and skill with, a welder.

The B20B is tilted forward slightly, to clear the hood, as well as being mounted lower.

Nobody messes with the hood because hood scoops/bulges look terrible on 3g preludes.

·
Memento Mori
7,553 Posts
Personally I would just modify the b series oil pan and pick-up tube so It can lean back like the B20a, it's better for ground clearance and weight distribution anyways. B series heads have the proper oil drain holes so it would work fine.

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
MustardCat said:
After working on some rod shifted hondas, I realized it would be a bitch to fab up some rods to clear the exhaust, 4WS shaft, and rear crossmember, and still keep ground clearance. Seems to me it would take alot of trial and error. But who knows, maybe it wasnt very hard for him at all? Wish we could get a pic from underneath!

My friend had a Civic HB with a B20b block and b16 head, with I/H/E. It pulled pretty good, and his was all ghetto installed, badly tuned. I wouldnt mind having that setup in a 3G at all. So much aftermarket, bolt-ons, internals, trannys......... One of these days a b series is gonna drop in my lap, and it's goin in! ;-)

I wouldn't let it drop into your lap though. That might hurt :wink:

But a B20B block with a VTEC head and CTR pistons that'll sing a nice tune of 200+whp is more then enough for me to let it drop in my lap also...

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
Actually... they have to be sleeved for high hp setups. Due to the fact that the B20B/Z have, um let me see if I can explain this. the cylinder walls are all 1 unit. No individual setups like our B20A?'s.

Reason behind the thicker head gasket on a B20Vtec setup with CTR pistons is the high compression pistons I think they are 13:1

·
Registered
746 Posts
ahhh damn it...you had to open the whole Vtec on a b20A thing...to get the oil to the VTEC head you have to tap the oil pressure switch with a t fitting and hook it back in along with an oil feed line and put that in the head so the engine gets the same amount of oil that the vtec would naturaly. THough I am contrubitiong to this reminds me of the old discussion...What came first the chicken or the egg. Yet with this it can be proven and done. But why the hell keep talking about it. TI's been done, with nominal issues. Redrill head studs and fab up your own headgasket. Though the word fab to some people is forbidden to think of becuase that would mean doing work, and god forbid people do that. It's easier to pay $300 than to put in 2 hours and pay $30. Including some intelligence and forethought, which more and more people lack. Alas none of this is to people on here. Well a few actuially. Im just ticked that were having the b20A vtec ordeal for the xxxxxx time.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
the pics of the engine are sick. and it is tru what others in this thread have said, finding a shop to custom motor mounts for you is hard. and i wondering how clearance there realy was with the motor swap since it didn't sit back? so i agree with what Mustardcat said let's see more pics of the underbody.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yes noted of the first post and the pic's. The comment was thrown of the b20A vtec as to the effect of my useless tiraid.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Im getting tired of all theses ludes popping up that i have to conjur up hateful thought towards cuz they kick so much ass.

It doesnt LOOK like its too hard of a swap, but then again...there always is a shit load of problems & customization.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i agree with SW3Lude.... i dont understand why people are terrified (sp) of custom work...... people do it every day.... i know were honda people... and honda has alot of after market support, but we dont, people should realise that custom work comes with the territory.

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
I personaly think if you have the courage to take on a project like this you must include the mounting of then engine axles and wiring. It's not just pulling an engine out and getting defferent mounts from other hondas. We aren't as lucky. It's not impossible. I remember back when they told my friend that a K20A couldn't fit in a CRX, few weeks later and a cut hood proved them wrong now Hasport took his idea and flew with it.

Hot rodders do this all the time and make it work. I would take on a project like this but I can't make anytime. Not even to work on my prelude for even a oil change. ...

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
cgm12mgc said:
oh wow... and that is way to high to turbo.... you'll blow your engine right out of your engine bay!
not necessarily...cam timing has a huge influence on dynamic compression in the engine. (peak cyl pressure)
I can turbo an engine with 15:1 static compression if I have the cams dialed properly and the engine tuned properly

41 - 60 of 98 Posts