Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1989 Honda prelude and I have 98 Honda CR-V B20b and I have the innovative mounts but what I want to know is what transmission is compatible with this engine I been through forums and it’s mixed answers

·
Memento Mori
7,528 Posts
B20a and B20b are different engines despite a similar designation. If you bought Innovative mounts for the Prelude or the B20b they won't work.

Any "regular" B series transmission is compatible with the B20b (trans that came with these engines: B16, B17, B18). The B20a trans isn't compatible.

If you want to install the B20b contact Sean at 1funrd.com, he sells the engine brackets that will allow you to swap the B20b into a 3rd gen.

·
Premium Member
17,034 Posts
B20a and B20b are different engines despite a similar designation. If you bought Innovative mounts for the Prelude or the B20b they won't work.

Any "regular" B series transmission is compatible with the B20b (trans that came with these engines: B16, B17, B18). The B20a trans isn't compatible.

If you want to install the B20b contact Sean at 1funrd.com, he sells the engine brackets that will allow you to swap the B20b into a 3rd gen.
MustardCat is correct, the only way to make any B-Series swap into a 3rd gen is with my custom swap kits.

My site: www.1funryd.com

B20b swap
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Auto part Automotive super charger part

B20vtec swap a year later. Same car.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car Automotive fuel system

Nothing from our bastard b motors bolt up too any of the B-Series or H-Series stuff.
Its all custom.

·
Premium Member
17,034 Posts
So my innovative mounts want work and the transmission which transmission will work and what’s the difference between your mounts and innovative just asking
No innovative mounts do not work with B16/18/20 motors in our chassis.

And no other Honda motor or transmission will not bolt up to any B20/21 motor.

If you want to drop that B20b into your 3rd gen, you need my swap kit to do it and you will have to use the S80 transmissions with that B20b.
And no one else makes a kit for the B-Series swaps. Do not confuse the B-Series with the B20A/a5/a6/a7/a9 or B21a1/A

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

If you want to drop that B20b into your 3rd gen, you need my swap kit to do it and you will have to use the S80 transmissions with that B20b.
And no one else makes a kit for the B-Series swaps. Do not confuse the B-Series with the B20A/a5/a6/a7/a9 or B21a1/A

[/QUOTE
So if I order the kit from you how long will it be to ship it to me

·
Premium Member
17,034 Posts
@1funryd Ok I’m thanks on the feedback I’m new to forums and how they work so a s80 transmission from an integra what model and do the year matter also how long would it take for the kit to ship if i order It?
On average 30-40 business days turn around.

·
Premium Member
17,034 Posts
Will I be able to keep my ac? If so how? Also the wiring harness do I use the crv harness? Would I have to get it modified? Also with the mounts how do they work?
You would convert your B20/21 AC system to the B-Series AC setup but you need custom AC lines. Which I do offer.
Once you purchase my kit, I email you the install instructions for the swap.

You cannot use any other engine harness to plug and play the swap, they all have to be modified pretty heavily.
I sell the conversion harness if you do not have the capability or anyone who can build you a harness. I recommend getting my conversion harness, to make things easier on you.

Mounts work like any other mounts, they mount the engine and transmission too the engine bay.
There is more detail but that is covered in the PDF I provide when you purchase the kit.

Here is my build and swap thread - 88-91 Prelude B20b/z swap & AWD

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You would convert your B20/21 AC system to the B-Series AC setup but you need custom AC lines. Which I do offer.

You cannot use any other engine harness to plug and play the swap, they all have to be modified pretty heavily.
I sell the conversion harness if you do not have the capability or anyone who can build you a harness. I recommend getting my conversion harness, to make things easier on you.

Mounts work like any other mounts, they mount the engine and transmission too the engine bay.
There is more detail but that is covered in the PDF I provide when you purchase the kit.

Will a S80 out of an 1994 Acura integra 5 speed manual transmission work

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The engines you mentioned above transmissions are Honda transmissions

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Make sure I understand the engine are all a B series engine for example the B17 would be a B17b B16B

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The transmission which is better the gsr

·
Premium Member
17,034 Posts
Will a S80 out of an 1994 Acura integra 5 speed manual transmission work
Yes

The engines you mentioned above transmissions are Honda transmissions
Yes we are only discussing the most common Honda engine swaps since that makes the swaps somewhat easier when going this route.

Make sure I understand the engine are all a B series engine for example the B17 would be a B17b B16B
There are actually different B-Series lines.

The 92-01 B-Series line covers the civics/integras/del sols/crv's
They for the most part all interchange parts, transmission etc.
Thus the term "B-Series was born"

The B20a5 or B21a1 B-Series lines are not even in the same boat with the newer B-Series, they were part of the original B-Series that was shared with the 3gs Accords which also had B20a's as their powerplants
However, the bastard b as we refer too them was not made in the same way, they were cast from the foundary at 18 degree angle.
This made them fit in our hoodline but also meant they were not made to be interchangeable with other Honda lines.
They were specially made, which meant they were not as many and became less popular and harder to support.

Here is an example of just how different they are: B20b on the left, and B20/21 on the right
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Automotive design

The transmission which is better the gsr
Which transmission is better really depends on what you want.
I have a integra LS transmission on my B20vtec swap, but I am going AWD real soon so that would be a moot point since the AWD transmission will bolt up but its a different transmission in that it is cable linkage and is AWD.

If you are asking what is the most popular transmission it would be the B16 Si transmission or the B18 GSR LSD transmission or Type R transmission for the B-Series guys who are front wheel drive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes

Yes we are only discussing the most common Honda engine swaps since that makes the swaps somewhat easier when going this route.

The B20a5 or B21a1 B-Series lines are not even in the same boat with the newer B-Series, they were part of the original B-Series that was shared with the 3gs Accords which also had B20a's as their powerplants
However, the bastard b as we refer too them was not made in the same way, they were cast from the foundary at 18 degree angle.
This made them fit in our hoodline but also meant they were not made to be interchangeable with other Honda lines.
They were specially made, which meant they were not as many and became less popular and harder to support.

Here is an example of just how different they are: B20b on the left, and B20/21 on the right
View attachment 30068

I have a integra LS transmission on my B20vtec swap, but I am going AWD real soon so that would be a moot point since the AWD transmission will bolt up but its a different transmission in that it is cable linkage and is AWD.

If you are asking what is the most popular transmission it would be the B16 Si transmission or the B18 GSR LSD transmission or Type R transmission for the B-Series guys who are front wheel drive.
Ok because my biggest thing is year of transmission and model car I know the 1994 will work also I have been looking I want to stay 5 speed manual so I been looking for a manual

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes

View attachment 30068

So also to be clear any year from 92-01 transmissions from either and integra/civics/del sols I can match to my 98 b20b

1 - 20 of 50 Posts