Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know this has been asked like a million times, but I can’t find much on it.
I’m looking to turbo my 88 prelude Si.
It has a b20a5.
I’m going to put h23 rods in it, new rings, and rod bearings. I’m looking for a turbo manifold but I literally can’t find anything. I saw people using dsm manifolds but you can’t use the front motor mount with them and I don’t like that. I’m gonna run 7-8 psi on the setup with a cheap turbo. But I don’t know where the heck I can get a manifold. I plan on running a fmu because it’s a pain to upgrade to obd1 and i already have a fmu. I’ll keep updating this thread with my progress over the winter.

Here’s a pic of the bay currently.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here’s a pic of the new valve cover I got yesterday at the junk yard. It’s from a b20b and I was told by Sean from 1funryd that it’s compatible so thanks to him.
Wood Lego Plastic Fashion accessory Icing

Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
17,034 Posts
... I plan on running a fmu because it’s a pain to upgrade to obd1 and i already have a fmu. ..

Here’s a pic of the bay currently.
View attachment 30093
It is not hard to upgrade too obd1 because the system is technically already OBD1 setup already but is rewired properly with an OBD0 to OBD1 jumper harness.

Here is HAmotorsports.com - 88-91 Honda Prelude OBD0-OBD1 jumper harness
Link: https://www.hamotorsports.com/colle...transmission-vehicles/products/obd0-prel-obd1
Font Event Fashion accessory Circle Electronics accessory

Do not go FMU as it will blow up your low boost setup in a short time. This is why so many have blown their budget builds in weeks and months and sometimes on a first drive.
Do it right the first time.

As for turbo manifolds only one person makes them on demand and he used to be part of this community and then moved onto the NSX crowd.

Here is his site: https://www.foundry3studios.com/product/b20a-t3-manifold

- Basic B20A Log manifold, same fitment as the ludespeed only better designed for more flow.
  • Accommodates 600whp without loss due to large runner diameter, enables fast spool thanks to short runner length.
  • Available in polished, standard, or ceramic coated finish. Stainless flange option as well.

3 week wait for assembly.

Tool Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory

Sculpture Musical instrument Bell Artifact Automotive exhaust

Fluid Sink Household hardware Gas Auto part

Bicycle part Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. What sucks is that manifold doesn’t ship to Canada. I installed a b20b valve cover on my b20a5. I think it hits in the cam gears because I heard a whining and took the cover off to see small scratches where the cover meets the gears. I just left it. Hopefully it self clearances lol.
Here’s a pic with the cover on.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

I got a front lip from an accord that I’m gonna install tomorrow, I’ll post some pics of that when I’m done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Following, I'm looking to do the same. I'm trying to keep it retro and fun not looking for crazy numbers just somthing period correct and more fun to drive. I have a lube speed turbo kit though. I also wanted to use an apexi neo but am also concedering hondata it's just more work for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Following, I'm looking to do the same. I'm trying to keep it retro and fun not looking for crazy numbers just somthing period correct and more fun to drive. I have a lube speed turbo kit though. I also wanted to use an apexi neo but am also concedering hondata it's just more work for me.
That’s sick, where did you get a lude speed kit from?

·
Memento Mori
7,528 Posts
Did you try contacting Foundry3 directly? It could just be that his checkout software isn't setup for shipping outside the US, I'm sure you could work out something with him to get a manifold.

The last Ludespeed manifolds/kits were made 20 years ago, so you have to luck out and find someone selling a used one (and they sold in very limited numbers back then). Also; while the build quality of Ludespeed manifolds wasn't considered too bad back in the day, the custom fabricatrion world has moved on. The Foundry3 manifold build quality is far beyond what the Ludespeed manifolds were.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you try contacting Foundry3 directly? It could just be that his checkout software isn't setup for shipping outside the US, I'm sure you could work out something with him to get a manifold.

The last Ludespeed manifolds/kits were made 20 years ago, so you have to luck out and find someone selling a used one (and they sold in very limited numbers back then). Also; while the build quality of Ludespeed manifolds wasn't considered too bad back in the day, the custom fabricatrion world has moved on. The Foundry3 manifold build quality is far beyond what the Ludespeed manifolds were.
Yea, I’m going to contact him directly.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just as 1funryd said don’t go FMU. Terrible idea for many reasons. Get an adapter harness and an ECU with a Honda S300v3. I ran this on my first two setups before doing an H swap (still running it.) The only real bitch is finding a base file.
As for manifold, there are technically a few options. One thing I read about a lot was using a DSM(4g63) manifold and drilling the holes and some clearancing. I never tried this but I’ve heard other people doing it. What I ended up doing (because foundry3 wasn’t around yet) was buying an CAST h22 manifold and drilling the holes. I purchased a new b20a5 exhaust flange gasket and marked the holes and drilled. It sucked and took me a few days but it worked amazing. Never had an issues with leaks or it cracking(because it was cast) only real issue was making the exhaust with the position it put the turbo. PS had to be deleted and it was TIGHT getting past the alternator. If I was doing it again I would buy the foundry3 manifold, although if that’s not an option since your in Canada you still have options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I think I will get the foundry manifold. Im gonna do some more research on it and maybe pull the trigger. Here’s a pic of the engine bay so far, I still need to install my new header.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Premium Member
17,034 Posts
Yeah, I think I will get the foundry manifold. Im gonna do some more research on it and maybe pull the trigger. Here’s a pic of the engine bay so far, I still need to install my new header. View attachment 30155
Its honestly either that or pay for a custom made one off one.
And for the price and quality this one is the better quality and flowing one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts