Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did some digging on the B20-VTEC setup one of the members did a while back, so that newbies and oldies can get some ideas. If you want to know more about anuthing he posted just clik on his sign-on name and go to his profile and pull up all the threads he started and read....

This is a re-post for information purposes only, so don't ask me. Enjoy Luders!! Another 1Funryd Productions!!!:wink:

B20-VTEC Conversion:

(Original thread starter -low12s )

it's a ctr head with a dpr port and polish. It needs a new valve seat and valve. The conversion is very similar to a b20b conversion, but you will need a custom headgasket, b16 pistons, and aftermarket rods if you want to rev it at all. The redline is currently 10,500, I can go higher but the tranny wont keep up. It grinds as is. I probably won't ever dyno it because I have a 3rd gen rx-7 and I don't really care what the prelude puts down. If I had to guess I would say 300whp, but I have a ton of mods and custom parts to get that hp number.

...See how far the head hangs over the block? The bearings are toda race bearings, and they are good to 12000 rpms. I'm running longer rods and you need the b16 pistons so the valve reliefs will line up with the valves. I'm selling just the head and nothing else. Ok sorry guys I don't really have the time to answer all of the questions on here but if somebody buys the head I will give you all of the info and support you need to do this swap.

Gasket info: ....it was a custom thing...its a hybrid gasket between the b20a and the b16
...tom coleman used to get the gaskets and sell them with the vtec head conversion
as far as I know, he is one of few that actually know what to modify to make this head work properly...

...I tried the ludespeed gasket but it didn't work out for some reason. So I made my own. It has been going strong for about 10k miles. My compression ratio is roughly 13.6:1., that helps out a lot in the midrange with the big cams. Race gas is my friend :smile:. But like I said I dont really drive it that much anymore, the rx-7 gets all the love now. Yeah the engine bay is messy I had to take it all apart a few times and mess with the motor mount. The pics are taken as I was putting it back together, you can see the air intake and the nitrous aren't completely installed in those pics. If anybody is serious about the head pm me. I'll give you the info and the price. Thanks for the interest guys.

Setup: ...Sorry guys I just realized that I never posted all of my mods or weather or not I am spraying. So just to clarify things I am spraying a 50 shot.
So I'll list my mods and I'll probably forget a few things like I always do. The car used to be turbocharged with the stock b20a engine by the way, but it isn't anymore. Ok so my mods are: b20 block sleeved, custom forged destroked crank, custom made long rods, custom made ross pistons, all arp hardware, toda bearings, ctr head ported and polished by dpr, 1mm oversize titanium valves, titanium springs and retainers, jg full race cams, adjustable cam gears, venom intake manifold, fuel rail, 75mm throttle body, rc engineering 440cc injectors, afpr, walbro 255, zex kit custom made header, 2.5" exhaust. Redline is 10k right now, I think thats all of it. If there are any doubts about this I live in nw washington and anybody who wants to come take a look or go for a ride just pm me. As for timeslips I have slips for my mid 12 runs and I think they are posted in imagestation. I don't know if I still have the low 12 runs and yes it was using turbo and nitrous. But seriously pm me and you can come take a look. I could really care less if people doubt this engine, I am not really that interested in it anymore, I have bigger and better things in the works so it doesn't matter to me. I just want to sell this head it's taking up valuable space. As for tuning this setup it's not that different from any other b20/vtec. It can get a little tempermental at times but the guy that tuned it knows his stuff. But seriously why do you think it would be so hard to tune? and I dont run b16 pistons. I have run b16 pistons in the past but this is the 3rd buildup of this motor. I had to work out most of the problems in the first 2.

---------------------------------------

Sean

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
bloody sweet!!!!
man, i need to know more about that head gasket!!!
ive frankenstiened a b18a jdm 3g accord head to a jdm b20a before, all i had to do was longate the oilway.

does anyone have step by step pics on modding the head?

man id love an engine that can rev to 10 000 rpm and run boost as well!
more power and a higher top speed!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
come on all you bastards with 16 head swap info!!
caugh up the info now!!!
compulsary sticky on this shit!!!!

or at least pm me pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzeeee!!!!!!!!!

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
This dude, as i remember, claimed much and never posted any proof at all.
Certainly no proof of 10k rpm, which is just a touch over the oiling issue based limit of the b20a5 block.

I like the posting up peoples stuff from the past, but you really need a do a bit of research first and find out whether it's true first or not.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Oh jeez. This again. I am going to take pics of my head now that im unemployed. I will put them in my garage. Im still looking for a good short intake manifold to put on my head. Then I need to get some engine management. But Ive got everything else.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Mines on the back burner right now. We just moved the mechine shop to our new location, so no time to mechine the head. I should have it in my car in 1 month if all goes well.

·
Premium Member
17,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This dude, as i remember, claimed much and never posted any proof at all.
Certainly no proof of 10k rpm, which is just a touch over the oiling issue based limit of the b20a5 block.

I like the posting up peoples stuff from the past, but you really need a do a bit of research first and find out whether it's true first or not.
Well I after reading all the threads and posts regarding this subject I have come to the conclusion until he is prove wrong, then his story stands.

Even B20Luda came to his defense. As far as acutual numbers are concerned, that may be fictional but the swap itself seem very doable with much captial invested.
This was simply a repost of old info that I felt would help all those thinking to do this or wondering if was done or whatever their pleasure.

I make no warranties or claims of credit on these write-ups. Just trying to keep all the most relevant information organized and easy to access.

Remember, I actually read stuff before posting things up.:wink: Come in Bob you should know me better than that.

Sean

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Okay, he can't be proved wrong, but I don't think that means all this is true or not....Anybody can say anything, but as we all know, this 3rd Gen. community until we see some videos :notify:....<----I like that smilie....

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
The burden of proof rests on his shoulders, thats how this sort of thing works.

This proves that putting a b16 head on a b20a5 block is possible, but we know that.

·
Premium Member
17,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And just to confirm, it does not matter if the chassis is 2WS or 4WS, The B20b/z motor swap will work with the rod shifted transmissions of the Civics or integras, but the shifter needs to be modified to fit.

My B16/18/20vtec swap kits allow the swap to be fairly plug and play.
And I offer the service too modify the shift to be bolt up.

Site: www.1funryd.com

B-Series swaps and now AWD swaps now available via 1FunRyd Performance.
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts