Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, posting this on behalf of a buddy, we're trying to get his car running.

We swapped a B21A1 into his 89 lude that originally had a B20. We are using the old B20's ECU and intake manifold on the new engine. All of the vacuum lines are connected correctly, but when the car is started it just revs like the pedal is floored. Stuffing a rag into the intake and starting it does not make it better or worse, it simply doesn't do anything.

Does anyone know what would cause this or have a starting point for me as far as things to look for to solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the brake booster hose and it is connected. The gasket is also brand new. I may also add that the egr valve has been deleted and the openings for it have been blocked.

What else is left?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Throttle stuck open or misadjusted cable? Intake mani not bolted down? (I actually did that once haha)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Throttle stuck open or misadjusted cable? Intake mani not bolted down? (I actually did that once haha)
I will make sure it's fully bolted down tomorrow. The cable is good and it's not stuck. I'm gonna try pumping some smoke through and see where it's coming from tomorrow as well, will report back.

Oh and for what it's worth, the cooling system has been bled and we did try to start it without the tps connected and had no difference.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took the manifold off again and saw that my buddy never got all the old gasket material off :D

Anyway, scraped the rest off completely and re-sealed it using rtv. Started up and it runs great, no problems with anything else.

Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
Took the manifold off again and saw that my buddy never got all the old gasket material off :D

Anyway, scraped the rest off completely and re-sealed it using rtv. Started up and it runs great, no problems with anything else.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Like I said....You have a leak!!!!!!!:mad2:

But seriously...:lol:, this is the main issue when taking off an intake manifold.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like squirrel101 said, I thought that I had gotten all the gasket material off, but there was still a ton on the block it's self. Got it all off. Now the car is running great! Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts