Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 659 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, here's the start of my Type-R swap journey. Some probably know how I acquired the motor for this swap, but for those who don't, Im working with a 97 Spec JDM B18C-R Engine and trans. I dont have the greatest rebuild pics, but we really didnt do too much to it. I just wanted to refresh the gaskets and bearings in it so it would run really good.

What I did to the engine:
ARP Head studs
ACL Race main and rod bearings
New Honda gaskets everywere
Spoon 2 layer head gasket
Mugen thermostat and fan switch
Spoon magnetic drain plugs
Hondata Heatshield intake gasket
Password JDM carbon cover
NEW ITR valve cover
GReddy Extreme timing belt
CTR N1 Crank pulley
Skunk2 Pro cam gears

Heres a comparison pic of the R and the B20

The B20 measures nearly 3 inches deeper VC to oil pan sump than the B18 meaning regardless of tilt, it has plenty of room to be dropped down for hood clearance.

Roughly this is what we want it to look like. I put on the old vc, so I didnt waste $180 on the new one getting trashed.

TECH:
We had to remove the center brace that goes underneath the oil pan to fit the engine in place in the stock mount location. There are problems with hanging it in that position however, because: the motor needs to be closer to the drivers side mount to clear the passenger side fender well plastic; the alternator bracket hits the K member, meaning it needs to come forward about an inch; and we're going to make a traction bar setup so we can clear the front support for the header Im going to use. The good news is that there is plenty of room in the bay to do as such and the trans output holes are looking great for hub alignment.

We're using .25" steel on all of the mounts and an HTC Invertig 201 to glue them together. I think we've made pretty good progress so far, but theres a lot left to do. Here's a couple of fab. pictures from last night.

semi-wired up

thank God for monster!

When I get the engine in the car, here's another teaser.

If anybody has any questions about anything relative to the above, I will try my best to answer with what knowledge we have obtained so far.

More importantly, I will probably need a lot of help along the way getting it finished, so I will take any help I can get.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Very nice! Be sure to take pics showing the ground clearence, as well as the shifter rods. Great work.

What tranny did you go with? or is it all ITR?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, Everything is full JDM spec Type-R on it. Shifter linkages/trans/block/head.

·
Premium Member
16,518 Posts
A gsr swap, why has nobody done this yet? Cant wait to see it all mounted in there!
The B18 has been done but thet did not share the info, and when I tried to get the B18 billet mounts done, not even 20 people signed up.

I have been trying to get this done but there was not enough interest.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
very cool, i was once contemplating on getting this done! good luck, cant wait to see it running!

·
Registered
10,000,001 Posts
I know that the type-r transmission has dual cone syncro's which will make for some wicked fast shifting, but what is all different inside the type-r motor vs a GSR motor? I have been told so much different shit about the two of them,,,

·
Registered
239 Posts
good luck with this, and keep us updated. although it has been done (once?), it is soo much better when you post pictures and describe the process. I'm excited to see how this works out, especially for quarter mile times and such.

·
Registered
645 Posts
How have you gone about with installing the shifter rods? Damn, i'd sell off my boost set-up to go with an itr package.

Oh, by the way those welds look amazing. Great work! Any pics of the rear mount?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I know that the type-r transmission has dual cone syncro's which will make for some wicked fast shifting, but what is all different inside the type-r motor vs a GSR motor? I have been told so much different shit about the two of them,,,
There's quite a bit of difference actually, heres a good link: http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=35

How have you gone about with installing the shifter rods? Damn, i'd sell off my boost set-up to go with an itr package.

Oh, by the way those welds look amazing. Great work! Any pics of the rear mount?
I havent gotten to the shifter rods yet, since the motor is still not in its "fixed" position. I am worried about cramming them in there as well as an exhaust, but exhaust will take second priority. My friend has been doing the welding, and believe it or not he just started welding period about 2 weeks ago. I think he's learning pretty fast!

1 - 20 of 659 Posts