Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a special trick to getting the axle seal to seat well on the transmission?
i had a small fluid leak after i replaced the transmission coming from the left axle, i put the seal up as close as i could then used a few socket extensions and a hammer and pounded it a little bit, and for the most part it stopped the leak.
but its still leaking a bit.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Did you put any sealant around it? Were there any burrs when you pushed it in?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have the same problem man mine leaks and i have to fill my tranny ever other weekend....i got my seals from napa and they said it was probly defective so when I ge the time I am going to order another one but my guess is it is defective like mine was

·
Registered
561 Posts
I got mine from Honda and have had no problems with them.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I got mine from Honda and have had no problems with them.
:emthup:
For the cost there is no point getting them anywhere else.
And as long as you fit them correctly you won't get leaks.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the same problem man mine leaks and i have to fill my tranny ever other weekend....i got my seals from napa and they said it was probly defective so when I ge the time I am going to order another one but my guess is it is defective like mine was
it didnt leak before..

what kind of sealant should i use?
and what do you mean burrs?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Burrs as in are there any sharp edges that would damage the seal during installation of the seals. The Honda ones almost fall into place, just get a socket of similar size and lightly tap it in. The Honda ones didnt cost much at all.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
BTW you do NOT tap these all the way in until they seat in the casing.
You fit them so they are very slightly proud of the casing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just installed some today in my tranny, the passenger side went in super easy, i just put some rtv silicon around it and tapped it in with and a piece of wood for even pressure, but the weird thing is the seal i put in is different than the one i took out. and i double checked the part number for it and it was right for my car, i just bought some timken ones which is what i always buy and havent had any probs with. But the diameters looked the same so i went with it,

And the driver side was the exact same as the one i took out. so i put some rtv around it and tapped it with a hammer and some wood, but that one went in and like popped back out, like it didnt seat very well, but could have been the rtv causing that so i tapped it a little furher and then it stayed. But as soon as the rtv dries it will be fine. I have done this on several trannys and have had no prob.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I NEVER use RTV. Simply don't need to.
And if you do the best stuff to use is Hondabond or the Loctite equivalent (far cheaper and just as good) and should only use a tiny amount.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
im talking about the outer seal.
What are you talking about?
I'm begining to think you think in a different language to the one you type in. :spinface:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well 89luderSI said he just put new ones IN his transmission..
but im talking about the ones OUTSIDE the transmission.
hence, inner and outer.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
well 89luderSI said he just put new ones IN his transmission..
but im talking about the ones OUTSIDE the transmission.
hence, inner and outer.
:lol:
I'm now wondering if you're doing this on purpose. Otherwise I'm going to talk to a box of frogs. :lol:
I really don't believe anyone can be quite like this :lol:

He said: I just installed some today in my tranny
He didn't say IN in UPPER CASE, it's just a turn of phrase at worst. Geez. He could have said in my tranny case.
Considering how many almost unintelligible posts there are around you pick up on some very odd ones to get so very wrong.

There are no axle seals actually INSIDE the transmission and most people know this so don't question such a simple comment.
We all know which seals you are talking about even if you don't.

So not hence anything.
Stop trying to be smart all the time (you're well enough armed for it) and just take the advice that's being freely given. Otherswise the novelty will wear off and you'll find people will stop helping you !

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
theres no seal that goes in the transmission?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
theres no seal that goes in the transmission?
Are you asking the question genuinely or just trying to be a smartarse yet again :?: :rolleyes2:

Of course there are seals inside the transmission.

But if you're in the second category you really are not equipped to have a battle of wits. FFS learn when to stop making yourself look stupid. :lol:

My exact quote for the hard of thinking:
There are no axle seals actually INSIDE the transmission

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you asking the question genuinely or just trying to be a smartarse yet again :?: :rolleyes2:

Of course there are seals inside the transmission.

But if you're in the second category you really are not equipped to have a battle of wits. FFS learn when to stop making yourself look stupid. :lol:

My exact quote for the hard of thinking:
and he said in his transmission, not on his axle..

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Oh right, so you're just being a twat then .
OK fair enough.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts