Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like title says i have a AWS problem.. I noticed when i checked for my cell problem my check engine light was flashed like it should but also my aws was blinking some sort of code..I've searched here but found nothing..Also i noticed sometimes in the moring the speedo wont work for a 5mins or so then it will read I also here a click when the light turns on..Iam sure its coming from the aws computer located behind the rear seats....

Also when i pulled the codes i only got one, one long flash then 2 short which is 12..I know its the Egr valve..My question is I heard that cleaning the Egr ports will solve my cell..Is there a way to check the Egr valve to make sure its just a air restriction rather than a Egr valve?? I dont want to spend the 160.00 for a new one if I dont have too..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess no-one has dealt with this problem or just dont know how to fix it :(.. For those who cleaned out there egr ports and had to buy the caps, did you dealer have them on hand or did they have to order them..My dealer has to order them and takes 1-2 days and wow there .80 cents a piece :) But I might check san diego, the dealers are alot bigger and might have them..I hope I need to get this done so I can get the car smogged already...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Guessing your car is 92. Never worked with the AWS but guessing you car pull up a code. Check in your Chilton or your manuel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya i know but i dont have a book yet..I know in the sticky area there is a posting 4 all the trouble codes for the engine and what not..I figure someone could post up the codes for the aws and what the different blinks indicate..No problem thoe i guess ill search alittle more or just buy a book :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Also when i pulled the codes i only got one, one long flash then 2 short which is 12..I know its the Egr valve..My question is I heard that cleaning the Egr ports will solve my cell..Is there a way to check the Egr valve to make sure its just a air restriction rather than a Egr valve?? I dont want to spend the 160.00 for a new one if I dont have too..
there are a couple of things you can do

frist test the egr to see if it works by starting the car and removing the vacum tube off the egr and atach it to a vacum puller ( if you dont have one try sucking on the end of the vacume line ) if the egr works the motor should stumble and try to die

as for cleaning the egr and pasages in the intake use some injector cleaner spray,small wire brush and a pice of wire for the hard to reach places

also if you want to give it a good cleaning run some seafoam through the vacume lines and watch all the crap come out the tail

hope it helps

P.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well done the test and sure enough the car died, WTF!?!? I guess it can be the Egr Vacuum solenoid?? Is there a way to check this? Well last night i cleaned the egr and also cleaned the egr ports and reset the code 12 i was getten and the check engine light didnt turn back on soooo iam hoping this fixed it..But I have a feeling that it wont so Iam looken for other things to check..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts