Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GAH! so... if your like me, buying from ebay is a little intimidating cause you dont get to see the product before you buy it. and maybe you want a warrantee without shipping your shit out to some company...

so i wanted a set of drilled and slotted rotarts cause mine were F'ed hardcore anyways. so i headed o my local AutoZone...

so i get there and we look it up and under the listing for the Si model 88 Lude there is no such thing as drilled and slotted available... so we check out the S model, it has a set to order, so we order them in, for 155 just for the front... ouch... :)

the only reason why i agreed to order the S model is cause we checked the number on the regular disks for the S and Si model and they had the same part number, makes sense that they would then be the same size correct?

well i get home, rip into shit head first and paint the calipers and everything rip it all apart and just as i go to put on the rotors i size them up to the old ones and... a inch smaller is the drilled and slotted, so they are a inch to small. DAMN IT!:mad2:

so my question is... does anyone know for sure that the S and Si model Preludes definately did have different sized front rotors? or did autozone just order me a set for another car on accident and thats why they are smaller?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what im saying dude, but the rotors that are just plain nothing special hade the same part numbers...

cause there was no listing for drilled and slotted rotors under the Si trim at autozone.... only drilled and slotted for the S model...

so again thats why i ask if anyone knows if they have same size front brakes?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Despite the apparent part numbers you were given..
They are not the same (at least not here they're not).
S has 242mm , Si has 262mm.

BTW save yourself some money and just get blanks.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fuck blanks...

im building a track car, and id need better cooler brakes.

and i dont mean cool as in style, i mean temp.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
fuck blanks...

Well that just shows that you don't really know what you're talking about then.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that just shows that you don't really know what you're talking about then.
what are YOU talking about?

drilled and slotted brakes dissipate heat faster....

no im serious. what the hell are you talking about?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
:lol:
You say that as if you know it's a fact. It isn't.
Do some research. Hell even a search on here will find you a good long thread all about it.

BTW how many track cars have you prepped? Just trying to see if you do have any experince in this area or are just an internet tuning expert (i.e. believe all the crap you read on the interweb)?

TBH this place is getting over-crowded with people who nothing more than opinions and still argue (very loudly) against hard proven facts. /generalistic comment not aimed at anyone in particular

·
blubyu
390 Posts
there are avalible thru spradlin auto in cincinnati, oh they are backed by koi auto parts. you can call them to see if they ship them to you or a dealer out there that sells them. They work great Ive had them before.

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
cross drilled rotors tend to crack. if you are building a track car then 155 bucks for brakes is pretty cheap compared to the 2000 dollar big brake kits.

·
Registered
10,000,001 Posts
fuck blanks...

I can tell you have never used the cross drilled rotors (stock cross drilled 3ed gen rotors) before. They will crack, I have been through 2 sets and they all cracked. If you are easy on them they might go a year without cracking. If you race with them they will crack in one long day, but if you do the swap like I have they won't crack because of the size upgrade. I have heated the shit out of mine and they still look like they just broke in yesterday, I have some upgraded calipers on ebay if you want to upgrade to bigger brakes as these are much more suitable to heat with cracking. Don't go with the bullshit brembo blanks either as these cracked on me to.

·
Registered
462 Posts
A rotor is a heat sink. Taking metal away from it means it absorbs less heat. The fins are what cool the rotor. Take a set of brembo blanks and count the fins, then count the fins on a cheap set. The brembos will have more fins for better cooling...
And last time I checked.... air didn't flow cross ways while driving to cool the brakes. Big brake kits are usually cross drilled to take out some of that rolling mass. You get a 15" rotor and that's a lot of mass to turn. Cross drill it to reduce the mass by 25%, and you still have lots of rotor for the pads to bite to and lots of metal to absorb the heat.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
cross drilled and slotted rotors only work on large brakes IE ferrari brakes, porsches etc etc etc

with our tiny brakes when you take away from the mass of the brake you are indeed weakening it hence why they tend to crack.

Now people called drilled and dimpled the same thing. Drilled is where the hole goes all the way through thusly weakening the brake.

Dimpled rotors are small .... Dimples in the rotor that DONT go all the way through. They increase braking efficiency by providing a resistant surface.

Ideally slotted is the way to go but you need to buy rotors from a company who does know how to properly slot rotors.

IE direction, width, length, angle, etc.
Brembo is the only company I would trust to purchase this from.
BUT LIKE I SAID it doesn't quite work to great with our tiny tiny brakes.

You best bet is a set of EBC Green stuff ceramic pads and brembo blanks

·
Registered
10,000,001 Posts
cross drilled and slotted rotors only work on large brakes IE ferrari brakes, porsches etc etc etc

You best bet is a set of EBC Green stuff ceramic pads and brembo blanks
You can't even begin to compare ferrari brakes, porsches brakes, motorcycle brakes, ect. Have you ever wondered why they dont rust? Totally different steel altogether. I have bought good blanks (non cross drilled) and green stuff pads, they didn't crack, they just warped. I have a set of green stuff pads with very little wear for the si brakes, maybe 10% wear, pm me if you want them.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Of course it is Kalgorn. Don't worry about these people that live in denial of it. ;-)

As Team said :emthup:

Not sure we need yet another thread on this one though.

Facts: grooved/slotted/dimpled/drilled won't make any difference on 95% of the cars on this forum.

On the ones where they do anything, some of that will simply be because they are using shit awful pads. Dimpled discs may as well be poor blanks.
Do some reseacrh. Look at gassing issues, they don't really exist with today's quality brake pads.

And if you the performance from EBC Greens is great then you don't qualify to know what a good pad is. They are merely OK road pads.

Good blanks and a good set of pads is all that is required. Fact.

Or maybe all the ones I've used have been crap and I just didn't notice.
Or maybe some spotty teenager who's never actually upgraded any brakes before will show me how wrong I really am.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i dont understand why you didnt just get 89 model?
did you even check for that?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts