1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goddamn acorn (accord)

91 Honda Accord 2.2L F22A1

Auto tranny.

Okay she was doing fine just last week. A little neck jerk on the shifts but no biggie.

One day I'm out driving with some friends and we hit interstate she works just fine, the standard 1,2,3,4 and we cruise the streets for about 45 mins before going back on highway and then all of a goddamn sudden 1,2,4. WTF?!:eek:

I tried gunning it to force a downshift but she only jumps into 2nd near redline and shifts back into 4th.

Immediately I flash back to my 3rd gen that wouldn't leave 2nd and eventually died. So I continue driving and then about 2 hours later she goes 1,2,3,4 again. I think "Maybe it was a fluke"

I drive home and then next morning I get up and start her up and now, even at the lightest pedal, she wont shift outta first. FUCK. I go about 1 mile at 15mph and shes at 4k when all of the sudden she SLIPS all the way to redline, bounces off, and then shifts into 4th.

I just got back from work and the lead mech Doc said to take off the kickdown cable he said it should shift 1,2,3,4 really quickly within 25mph. That'll determine if its the cable or not. Took it off and it did the same thing 1,2,4 and then when I was driving back 1,2,3 but no 4.

So he said the clutch packs in the transmission are one their way out and Im shit outta luck.

The fluid levels are fine but the color is a dark brown. I'm gonna try a full service flush anyways and see if that'll help.

erp shite. Anyways im thinking it really isnt the clutch packs since its run 3rd gear all the way and it'll still hit the gears but its random on what it determines.

With my old Prelude it was no matter what I did it wouldn't hit 4th or 3rd.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Sorry to hear that man but those clutch packs are on there way out if is jus randomly doin that or it could be something messed up with the valve body but 90 percecnt of the time it is the clutch packs....if you change out the fluid it might help for a trip around the block but i dought it good luck amir

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh. I mean it'll last me about another month hopefully I wonder if I should even bother tuning it up. The engine still runs strong.

I seafoamed the engine today and did a pressurized coolant flush so Im not sure yet. Im doing all this free.

I think i'll try a fuel system flush and some plugs instead of a full tune up.

Anyone want a f22a1?

·
Registered
581 Posts
that sucks, sry to hear that. had u been shifting it manually? i know the accords dont have the SS trans but ive heard of people putting it in first and just bumping the shifter through the gears (in fact, i was guilty of that a few times in my 240) that would cause the trans to act up and probably cause alot more wear on the clutch packs. also could be something w/ the ecu.

once the trans. dies, u should consider gettin a 5 spd. at least then if something goes wrong its more likely to be the clutch which is 500-700 to replace as opposed to 2-3k for a transmission.

Ace

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was considering doing the whole 5spd thing but that'll take much needed money away from the prelude build.

See now I've heard 2 different things about manual shifting the auto. One side says it doesn't fuck it up so long as you dont use it to downshift.

The other side says it fucks it up no atter what

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
A manually shift my camaros auto all the time. Thats how my dad raced his auto chevelle that is all i have seen anyone race with an auto. I dont see how it can hurt too much because the trans shifts anyway and i dont see why telling it to shift is going to hurt it.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would suggest that you start by changing your transmission fluid, it should be a redish color, not brown. First generation Acura RL's and TL's often have issues with their transmissions, so a common practice to prevent problems is to change/flush out the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles. IMPORTANT: DO NOT hook up your transmission to a "flush" machine at a shop, as it will greatly reduce the life of your automatic transmission.

First step: Drain out the old fluid.

Second Step: Refill with Genuine Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid

Third Step: Drive for 10 minutes

Fourth Step: Drain out the fluid.

Fifth Step: Refill with Genuine Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid

*Note: If the transmission is still shifted ackwardly, drive another 10 minutes, drain and refill again. If it is still shifting ackwardly, their is probably more serious going on.

Good Luck!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts